Verbal Reasoning - Fun

Dean   Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:01 pm GMT
Rule: Read the passage carefully and then, using only the information given in the passage, for each statement choose whether it is definitely true (A), definitely untrue (B), or you have insufficient information to answer (C).

Cardiovascular disease is so prevalent that virtually all businesses are likely to have employees who suffer from, or may develop, this condition. Research shows that between 50-80% of all people who suffer a heart attack are able to return to work. However, this may not be possible if they have previously been involved in heavy physical work. In such cases, it may be possible to move the employee to lighter duties, with appropriate retraining where necessary. Similarly, high-pressure, stressful work, even where it does not involve physical activity, should also be avoided. Human Resources managers should be aware of the implications of job roles for employees with a cardiac condition.

Q1: Physical or stressful work may bring on a heart attack.

Is answer A, B or C?
Liz   Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:25 pm GMT
C again, I presume. It says that people who have previously been involved in heavy physical work or stressful activity may not be able to return to work after having recovered. That simply means that these types of activities should be avoided by those who have had heart attack. It does not stated clearly whether they bring on heart attack or not.
Dean   Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:20 pm GMT
Liz, i'm sorry the correct given was C) I don't know why. In fact, I agree with what you've got. Will you change ur mind?
Liz   Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:24 pm GMT
<<Liz, i'm sorry the correct given was C) I don't know why. In fact, I agree with what you've got. Will you change ur mind?>>

Wait a minute...which one is correct? It´s still not crystal clear to me. You say that the correct answer is C but at the same time you say "Sorry".
well-reader   Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:50 pm GMT
Q1: Physical or stressful work may bring on a heart attack.
The correct answer is A.

<<Cardiovascular disease is so prevalent that virtually all businesses are likely to have employees who suffer from, or may develop, this condition.>>

There is an indirect clue that stressful or physical work(associated with businesses or organizations) may force employees to develop this condition (cardiovascular or heart attack). The word "prevalent" emphasized this fact.

<<Similarly, high-pressure, stressful work, even where it does not involve physical activity, should also be avoided.>>

This para is again reinforcing the point that stressful work should be avoided otherwise it could cause a cardiovascular disease or heart attack.

Both answers B amd C are incorrect. Anyways, this is my guess. Correct me if i am wrong.
Andy   Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:47 am GMT
"A" is correct. I would surmise from the passage that Physical or stressful work MAY bring on a heart attack. I didn't read anything in the passage to rule out that possibility.

I say definately maybe.
Dean   Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:29 am GMT
Hi Liz, sorry for the confusion. Ladies and Gentleman B) is CORRECT. The answer book says: "This does not follow logically from the information given, which does not imply that such work causes heart disease only that it should be avoided after a heart attack. This is therefore UNTRUE." I feel that didn't say the cause, so it should be C). Why?
Liz   Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:34 am GMT
I agree with Dean. Stressful work may or may not bring on heart attack. The text doesn´t answer the question, therefore I wouldn´t say it´s definitely untrue.
Andy   Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:44 pm GMT
At no point in the passage does it rule out the possibility that stress MAY cause a heart attack. Logically this means "A" is correct. Similiar arguments mean that B and C are also correct. I suggest they remove the word "may" from answer "A" as this adds enough ambiguity to make it one of correct answers.