Verbal Reasoning - Fun

Dean   Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:12 pm GMT
Read the passage carefully and then, using only the information given in the passage, for each statement choose whether it is definitely true (A), definitely untrue (B), or you have insufficient information to answer (C).

A) Millions of lives around the world could be saved, and the quality of life of hundreds of millions markedly improved - very inexpensively - by eradicating three vitamin and mineral deficiencies in people's diets.The three vitamins and minerals are vitamin A, iodine and iron - so-called micronutrients. More than 2 billion people are at risk from micronutrient deficiencies and more than 1 billion people are actually ill or disabled by them, causing mental retardation, learning disabilities, low work capacity and blindness. It costs little to correct these deficiencies through fortification of food and water supplies. In a country of 50 million people, this would cost about $25 million a year. That $25 million would yield a fortyfold return on investment.

Q1: Vitamin A, iodine and iron are the only micronutrients that people need in their diet

Is it A,B or C?
Hi   Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:23 pm GMT
A) def. true
Hi   Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:27 pm GMT
but I can't explain the convoluted logic.
Dean   Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:06 pm GMT
A) is not the right answer
Liz   Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:12 pm GMT
C - it isn´t stated clearly in the text that these are the ONLY micronutrients that people need.

(Besides, based on my background knowledge, there are a lot more fact. But it´s neither here nor there.)

So, I think the test contains insufficient information.

Am I right am I not?
Liz   Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:14 pm GMT
Dean, I think we posted at the same time...No, but I didn´t see your last message.
Liz   Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:28 pm GMT
...your latest message, to be more accurate.

I hope you will post any in the foreseeable future, as I´m eager to know the answer...
Liz the Dyslexic   Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:33 pm GMT
The next correction:

<<there are a lot more fact >>

there are a lot more in fact
Dean   Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:14 pm GMT
Thanks everyone. The answer is C). Liz you hv got it right! Well done.
Guest   Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:18 am GMT
>>The three vitamins and minerals are vitamin A, iodine and iron - so-called micronutrients. <<

If the "micronutrients" are defined as vitamin A, iodine and iron, then Q1 holds true, so (A)
Liz   Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:30 am GMT
<<If the "micronutrients" are defined as vitamin A, iodine and iron, then Q1 holds true, so (A)>>

These are the most important ones but there are some others as well (e.g. zinc, vitamin E, vitamin C). But, as I mentioned earlier, it´s neither here nor there. Is that stated clearly in the text or not? That´s what you are suppposed to do here.