Rubbish/trash/garbage

Josh Lalonde   Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:08 pm GMT
It's my understanding that 'rubbish' is the preferred form in the UK, 'trash' in the US (garbage is used here in Canada). Any exceptions or other interesting information?
Andy   Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:45 pm GMT
Yes, 'rubbish' is the preferred form in the UK. I do hear 'trashy' used frequently but that's probably more down to my taste in girls (or lack of taste).
SpaceFlight   Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:36 pm GMT
Here in the U.S. we use both "trash" and "garbage.
Rick Johnson   Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:58 pm GMT
AS Brennus states trash was originally an English word that generally fell out of use and as been reintroduced over the last 30 years. Garbage is also a word that originates in England, but in the 17th Century it was used to describe entrails - you may see English books talking about removing the garbage from rabbits before cooking.
Uriel   Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:12 am GMT
I think garbage and trash are used pretty interchangeably in the US -- ther's no real preference. Rubbish is a lot less common.
Guest   Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:30 am GMT
Hogwash is more common than Rubbish in the US, I suppose!!!!
Uriel   Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:52 pm GMT
Well, in THAT context, I think we lean more toward "bullshit"!
Jim   Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:17 am GMT
In Australia we generally use "rubbish" or "garbage". "Trash" is not so common.
Travis   Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:14 am GMT
>>I think garbage and trash are used pretty interchangeably in the US -- ther's no real preference. Rubbish is a lot less common.<<

I have to say that the pattern here definitely follows such, except that the word "rubbish" is not simply less common than the words "trash" and "garbage" here but rather is practically never used at all here.
Uriel   Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:29 am GMT
You hear it every once in a while, and we know what it means. But it's not part of normal conversation, usually.
Rick Johnson   Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:32 pm GMT
I've heard that "rubbish" is used in New England, but not very often elsewhere!
Pub Lunch   Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:50 pm GMT
Rubbish is used all the time in England. Some examples: 'I have to take out the rubbish', 'Put the leftovers in the rubbish bin', 'that was a rubbish film', 'England are rubbish at football',' I'm a rubbish dancer', I'm rubbish at dancing (I'm not really) etc etc. I love the word rubbish, surely it is more versatile than 'trash' and 'garbage'. I'm sad to hear it is not used elsewhere.
Ok, I have been posting a tad too much for my liking. Night night.
Andrew   Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:41 pm GMT
In New England where I live, "trash" is usually only used when discribing something really stupid or foolish, like, "Get rid of that digusting trash!" Or, "What I stupid piece of trash" when describing a person! But garbage is used about 90% of the time, rubbish is used a bit also.
Melissa   Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:37 pm GMT
Rubbish sounds like some kind of vegetable to my ear. I use only garbage (and sometimes trash)
Jim   Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:40 am GMT
"Does this salad have any rubbish in it? I love to eat rubbish."