What is the best English-English Dicitonary for Learners?

Gustavo   Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:20 pm GMT
I am very interested in knowing what you think about the English dictionaries written for learners.

Your vote goes ....for?

Longman Dictionary of Contemporay English 4th Editon (personally the best)
Cambridge Learner's Dictionary
Webster's and Merrian Dictionary
Collins Cobuild
Oxford Dictionary
Andy   Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:58 pm GMT
Don't get me started on my "but I think the Oxford Dictionary is wrong" rant again...
Guest   Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:39 am GMT
Collins cobuild is the best by a mile.
superdavid   Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:12 pm GMT
I would recommend these three dictionaries:

Collins Cobuild English Dictionary
Longman Dictionary of English Language and Culture
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English

They are great dictionaries for English learners.
Lilline   Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:27 pm GMT
Oxford Wordpower dictionary for me.
You can learn it by heart in do well in US/Canada/Uk.
Cardinale   Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:39 am GMT
Oxford Advanced Learner's is by far the best: user friendly, lots of collocations for each word, all that makes a good learner's dictionary without all the unnecessary and confusing information and resourses of other dictionaries. It's simple and clear.
Guest   Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:51 am GMT
best English-English Dicitonary for Learners:
without any dout, it is---------------------------------

Longman Dictionary of Contemporay English 4th Editon

It features NATURA and UP-TO-DATE English used in real modern life, with a view to spoken English as well. With a colored printing, its lay-out is admirably user-friendly.
Just go for it!!!
Liz   Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:44 am GMT
It´s definitely the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English 4th Edition. For the aforementioned reasons.
Glikeria   Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:09 am GMT
I like LDOCE, too. Merriam-Webster have a horrible transcription.
Guest   Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:36 pm GMT
I used to like previous editions of the Oxford Advanced Learner's dictionary, before it resorted to those overly simplistic definitions (following the trend of every other major dictionary for learners).
Another guest   Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:35 am GMT
I used to like previous editions of the Oxford Advanced Learner's dictionary, before it resorted to those overly simplistic definitions (following the trend of every other major dictionary for learners).
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aha, that simply shows the Oxford Advanced Learner's dictionary is made to follow suit in the face of other big brand learners' dictionaries. The motive behind this has less to do with userfriendliness than market profit. English learners' dictionaries are a big market in the world. In this market, the late comer LDOCE, who pioneered in using simple language to explain dictionary words, sth that has been warmly received by non-native English learners, is the trend setter and innovator, hence capturing an increasing market share from Oxford Brand dictionaries. That is of course the last thing Oxford publishers would like to see. That explains why Oxford Advanced Learner's dictionary resorted to those overly simplistic definitions.
jianejo   Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:47 am GMT
of course Longman Dictionary of Contemporay English 4th Editon

like its full explanation!
gbuitragot   Wed May 09, 2007 10:22 pm GMT
LDOCE is the most completed dictionary that I have ever seen!!
All of the Longman dicitonaries are excellent.
Yesterday, I bought Longman Advanced American Dictionary and have to confess "It's excellent"
Using tools like these it's obvious that your English dramatically increases!.
It's good to spend money buying such good books!! Invest on you!