Is this acceptable English, IYO?

Bridget   Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:20 am GMT
Is this acceptable English, IYO? Would you teach it?

"The 1972s, at only $800 a bottle, are drinking so much better at the moment."
S   Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:48 pm GMT
No. I have never heard "drinking" used in this context.
Jim   Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:56 pm GMT
No.
Andy   Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:14 pm GMT
Bridget, are you referring to 1972 vintage bottles of wine being popular at the moment?
Lazar   Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:54 am GMT
I'd say that that's a possible and natural English sentence, but it's informal. When it says that they "are drinking so much better", this is a use of the middle voice. The middle voice is active in form but passive in meaning; for example, to say that a book "reads well" (in other words, it's pleasant to read), or that some food "eats well" (it's pleasant to eat). The middle voice is a feature of vernacular English, but you shouldn't use it in formal contexts.
Uriel   Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:39 am GMT
It's probably oenophile jargon, and perfectly acceptable in that context.
Guest   Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:31 am GMT
<I'd say that that's a possible and natural English sentence, but it's informal. When it says that they "are drinking so much better", this is a use of the middle voice. >

Why do you see middle voice as informal?
M56   Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:32 am GMT
This is acceptable:

"Chunky, the soup that eats like a meal.", so why not your example? To me, it's fine in the context of vintners.
M56   Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:37 am GMT
Lazar, more examples:

"Zind Humbrecht, Riesling, Turckheim Brand, Grand Cru, 2000: Full bodied, with moderate but well felt sweetness and generous botrytised honeyed-citrus, pear flavors and aromas, all balanced beautifully by minerals and a lightly spicy background., this very well made wine is drinking well now and promises to cellar comfortably until the end of the decade. Score 93."

http://www.stratsplace.com/rogov/alsace_broad_tasting.html

"2001 Semillon

A bright, sparkling lemon colour with tinges of green, this lovely Semillon has a rich bouquet of tropical fruit aromas and vanillin oak. The palate is rich and smooth with lingering fruit flavours, soft integrated oak and a long crisp acid finish. The Semillon won a Silver Medal at the 2002 Mudgee Wine Show and is drinking well now. It will continue to mature for a few more years. Drink 2003-2006."

http://www.thistlehill.com.au/spring03.htm

Now, Lazar, would you say that those websites are examples on informal English? I wouldn't.
Josh Lalonde   Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:45 pm GMT
I agree with Lazar: the middle voice is not appropriate for formal settings. You wouldn't write an essay with "The Second World War was fighting very well..." (obviously I'm exaggerating). The examples from the wine-tasting pages, while not completely informal, are definitely less formal than an academic essay or a news report, for example.
Achab   Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:44 pm GMT
I agree with Josh Lalonde's assessment of the middle voice's level of (in)formality. Provided this explanation, though, Bridget's sentence is perfectly acceptable and "teachable" in my opinion.

I'd choose the verb "to sell" rather than "to drink" though:

_The 1972s, at only $800 a bottle, are selling so much better at the moment._
Bridget   Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:51 pm GMT
<The examples from the wine-tasting pages, while not completely informal, are definitely less formal than an academic essay or a news report, for example. >

Is that your idea of formality?
Bridget   Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:52 pm GMT
<I'd choose the verb "to sell" rather than "to drink" though: >

Why would you choose that verb? What has it got to do with the quality of the wine?
Uriel   Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:06 am GMT
I still think it's a case of jargon specific to a particular field -- in this case, the wine industry.
Lazar   Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:24 am GMT
<<Now, Lazar, would you say that those websites are examples on informal English? I wouldn't.>>

The language there is specialized, but as Josh said, it's not entirely formal. There's a conversational tone on those websites that would be absent in more formal, academic writing.