Does this sentence seem right?

Josh Lalonde   Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:53 pm GMT
"He has gone to bed, now that he has locked the door."

Is this a possible English sentence? I'm in a debate with engtense right now and I would appreciate anyone else's input, since he doesn't seem to recognize the fact that I'm a native speaker as being relevant to a debate about English.
Uriel   Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:29 am GMT
Why are you even talking to that nut? It's pretty futile.
Guest   Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:18 am GMT
There's nothing unusual about that sentence.
Geoff_One   Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:18 am GMT
I can easily understand the sentence. It looks all right in written work - no need to edit.
Guest   Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:33 am GMT
Uriel, nut or no nut. Debates are like an opportunity for us to examine our positions as well as others because we take things for granted as a native speaker. If it is futile to have a debate then shut this forum up altogether.
Lazar   Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:45 pm GMT
Josh: I think that sentence is fine.

I would warn you though, I argued with Engtense over the course of many posts, pages, and weeks, and I just got nowhere. I wouldn't say it was a worthless experience, because it did help me more clearly formulate my own ideas about tense and aspect, but I have to say that he is a *nightmare* to argue with.

If you'd like to examine the historical record, then just flip down to:

- our initial argument about the simple past and newspaper articles, on pages 23-26

- our subsequent argument about the simple past and newspaper articles, on pages 38-42

- and our argument about his twisting and misinterpretation of language, and the concept of aspect, starting on page 44, and leading up to my final denunciation of him on page 49, in which I swore never again to post in his thread. ;-)
Uriel   Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:31 pm GMT
Oh, I just had to have a couple conversations with him to write him off as a twit with a perverse desire to argue everything into the ground to no purpose whatsoever other than the sheer joy of arguing. You must have a much higher threshhold for bullshit than me!
Josh Lalonde   Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:47 pm GMT
Thanks Lazar and Uriel. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to get anywhere with him, but I though I'd give it a try. I'm pretty close to giving up, but I think I can hold out for a couple more posts. I'm used to this sort of thing from Wikipedia editing, where people argue for months over whether a link should be included or not. I actually find it funny, in a sad way, that he claims to have discovered some secrets of grammar that traditional publications have covered up, while his own English isn't even that good! And he refuses to accept that native English speakers know more about the subject than him! And he quotes his own website in support of his arguments!...Okay, maybe I should take some time off and come back to him when I've thought of a new approach