"to put down" usage

CTR   Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:37 pm GMT
Is it correct to use "put down" with objects or other non-living things/concepts?
For example, if someone doesn't like a certain dialect of a language and mocks it, can you tell that person something like: "You have no reason to put down that dialect."?
Guest   Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:04 pm GMT
deride would be a good word to use in that context. Phrasal verbs are helpful but dont overuse them when you can use a simple word instead. However, your suggested sentence sounds perfectly normal.
Josh Lalonde   Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:09 pm GMT
I don't think there's any problem with "overusing" phrasal verbs; the important thing to remember is that they are often informal, as with this case. 'Deride', 'denigrate', 'mock' are all more formal ways of saying the same thing, but in conversation, or on an Internet forum, there's no reason not to use 'put down'.
Bridget   Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:33 am GMT
<Phrasal verbs are helpful but dont overuse them when you can use a simple word instead. >

I've never heard such amateur advice in all my life.
Guest   Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:06 am GMT
Simplicity is the essence of beauty. More often than not students mess up with their pepositions in phrasal verbs so if there is a basic, simple verb that would do the job then stick to it. As far as my amateur advice goes, suck my dick.
Travis   Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:16 am GMT
>>I don't think there's any problem with "overusing" phrasal verbs; the important thing to remember is that they are often informal, as with this case. 'Deride', 'denigrate', 'mock' are all more formal ways of saying the same thing, but in conversation, or on an Internet forum, there's no reason not to use 'put down'.<<

It should further be emphasized that in most actual everyday speech, phrasal verbs and other sorts of verb-particle combinations are very often the *usual* way many such things are expressed, with words like "deride" and "denigrate" generally not being used. (The reader should note though that the word "mock" is not nearly as formal as the words "deride" and "denigrate", and one may actually hear such in everyday speech, unlike them.)
Guest   Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:52 am GMT
Then an average speaker should read and listen more in order to upgrade his/her voacb.
Travis   Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:16 am GMT
>>Then an average speaker should read and listen more in order to upgrade his/her voacb.<<

This is not a matter of vocabulary size, but rather a matter of register, as such words like "deride" and "denigrate" are usually only formal literary words which are not used in everyday speech, while in everyday speech it is very often more natural for a native speaker to use verb-particle constructions to express many different things. Similarly, such verb-particle constructions are not nearly as common in the formal literary register as in everyday speech.
M56   Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:26 am GMT
<Then an average speaker should read and listen more in order to upgrade his/her voacb. >

Or his spelling and punctuation:

<More often than not students mess up with their pepositions in phrasal verbs so if there is a basic, simple verb that would do the job then stick to it. >

<As far as my amateur advice goes, suck my dick. >

Do you have a magnifying glass?
Guest   Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:19 am GMT
<<Or his spelling and punctuation: >>

You are being an arrogant ass there. Oh well, that comes naturally with being a native English Speaker. If there had been an "edit" button on this forum, you would not have seen my typo. Well, what you can expect from the dregs of society apart from sarcasm.
Guest   Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:25 am GMT
<<<<<This is not a matter of vocabulary size, but rather a matter of register, as such words like "deride" and "denigrate" are usually only formal literary words which are not used in everyday speech, while in everyday speech it is very often more natural for a native speaker to use verb-particle constructions to express many different things. Similarly, such verb-particle constructions are not nearly as common in the formal literary register as in everyday speech. >>>>

Travis, you are the biggest asshole I have ever seen in my life. You are so vocal in favor of infomal usage of words, in diversity of accents and dialects, yet you write in the most [abominable formal] fashon on the forum. You are bored to read, and the ennui that comes from reading your posts is pervading my brain like a deathly disease.
Geoff_One   Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:21 am GMT
<<<<<This is not a matter of vocabulary size, but rather a matter of register, as such words like "deride" and "denigrate" are usually only formal literary words which are not used in everyday speech, while in everyday speech it is very often more natural for a native speaker to use verb-particle constructions to express many different things. Similarly, such verb-particle constructions are not nearly as common in the formal literary register as in everyday speech. >>>>

I find it somewhat interesting to read English written this way.
Guest   Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:44 am GMT
>>Travis, you are the biggest asshole I have ever seen in my life. You are so vocal in favor of infomal usage of words, in diversity of accents and dialects, yet you write in the most [abominable formal] fashon on the forum. You are bored to read, and the ennui that comes from reading your posts is pervading my brain like a deathly disease.<<

I agree but you could be a little more diplomatic in your choice of words. ;)
Travis   Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:33 pm GMT
>>Travis, you are the biggest asshole I have ever seen in my life. You are so vocal in favor of infomal usage of words, in diversity of accents and dialects, yet you write in the most [abominable formal] fashon on the forum. You are bored to read, and the ennui that comes from reading your posts is pervading my brain like a deathly disease.<<

The key word here is "write", and yes, I do tend towards using a formal literary register when writing. Of course, I don't *speak* like this, as you may have guessed.
Guest   Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:40 pm GMT
<Of course, I don't *speak* like this, as you may have guessed. >

you do not speak like a truly American native speaker. Your accent is North Korean. I am willing to bet my life on it.