Surround

Lazar   Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm GMT
I think in casual speech I'd usually say [Int@`"Vpt], but in more careful speech I'd be more likely to say [Int@"r\Vpt].
Philip   Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:29 pm GMT
What about "for real"? Do you ever pronounce it as if were "freal"? I pronounce it [fP\Io].
Josh Lalonde   Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:35 pm GMT
No, I don't think I ever elide the vowel completely. I generally don't give it the full vowel either, so I have [f3`r\Io] or [f3`v\Io]
Philip   Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:22 pm GMT
<<I generally don't give it the full vowel either, so I have [f3`r\Io] or [f3`v\Io]>>

By [3`] do you mean [@`], or do you actually have the "fur" vowel there?
Philip   Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:33 pm GMT
While we're on the [@`] thread, what about "tire" and "tower"? For me those are homophonous with "tar" as [ta:].
Josh Lalonde   Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:00 pm GMT
I suppose it probably is [@`]. The difference for me is basically just stressed vs. unstressed; I don't think there's any difference in vowel quality.
As for 'tire' and 'tower', I have a similar pronunciation, but only in casual speech. Both are often [ta@`], while 'tar' is [tAr\] (or perhaps [tQr\]; I still haven't figured out exactly what the quality of my low back vowel is).
Philip   Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:35 pm GMT
<<(or perhaps [tQr\]; I still haven't figured out exactly what the quality of my low back vowel is).>>

[tQr\] would sound extremely odd to me indeed.
Philip   Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:08 am GMT
<<I still haven't figured out exactly what the quality of my low back vowel is).>>

My low back vowel in "dock" is [A] and it can become [a:] variably merging with the [a:] in "dark". The RP vowel [Q] sounds distinctly different to me and it would sound extremely odd to me in a word like "tar".
Lazar   Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:54 am GMT
I don't use [Q] in "tar", but I wouldn't say that it sounds "extremely odd" to me. It actually sounds pretty conceivable to me when I say it as a phonetic exercise - just a rounded version of the [A] that I would use there.
Josh Lalonde   Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:31 am GMT
So Philip, do you generally 'cot' and 'cart'? I wasn't aware of any father-bother merging accents in England (though I've heard of some that have an unrounded LOT set).
Using [Q] for the merged low-back vowel in Canadian English seems to be fairly common. I've only just started figuring this out for myself, but I seem to have [A] before /r/, but [Q] or even [O] in some other situations. You can listen to me on the thread "Accent sample". My LOT/PALM/THOUGHT set doesn't sound like the RP LOT vowel to me, but that may just be due to RP [Q] being short, whereas my accent doesn't have phonemic length as far as I can tell.
[Q:] is apparently the standard realisation of START in South African English, according to Wikipedia.
Josh Lalonde   Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:44 am GMT
Sorry, should be: "do you generally distinguish 'cot' and 'cart'?"
Philip   Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:58 pm GMT
<<Sorry, should be: "do you generally distinguish 'cot' and 'cart'?">>

In casual speech both are [ka:?] while in more formal speech they are distinguished as [kA?] (for "cot") and [ka:?] (for "cart").