Question for French Speakers !

Guest   Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:21 pm GMT
Hello. I have a question about major differences between Quebec French and mainland French. Are the differences huge? What is the biggest difference? I get many radio AM stations from Montreal and I hear some minor things...but I want to hear from someone who really speaks the language!
Josh Lalonde   Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:32 am GMT
The differences aren't too major, much less than between American and British English. It varies with social class though, with low-class Quebeckers being farther away from Metropolitan French than higher-class ones. Depending on what stations you hear, you'll get different levels. CBC announcers are probably the closest to Metropolitan France, and music or sports stations would probably be farther.
Some of the differences: the letter 'r' is pronounced differently by many Quebeckers. In X-SAMPA, Quebeckers say [ruZ], while the French say [RuZ]. Also, Quebeckers pronounce 't' and 'd' differently before 'i' and 'u', so 'tu' is [tsy] in Quebec and [ty] in France. Another important difference is that some vowels in Quebec are pronounced as diphthongs: 'recette' Q: [rEsE@t], F: [REsEt].
France also tends to merge certain sounds, that is, pronounce them the same. The sounds written 'o' and 'ô' ([O] and [o] in X-SAMPA) are often pronounced the same in France, as are 'a' and 'â' ([a] and [A]). The nasalized vowels [E~] and [6~] are often merged as well, so 'brin' and 'brin' may be pronounced the same. Quebec French makes the distinctions in all these cases.
There are differences in vocabulary to, but I don't know too much about it off the top of my head. One important one is the swearwords, which are mosty based on church-related words in Quebec. See this Wikipedia article for more: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacre_%28juron%29
Josh Lalonde   Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:40 am GMT
Should be "brin and brun are pronounced the same"
Guest   Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:36 pm GMT
brin does not exist in french.
Guest   Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:43 pm GMT
<< brin does not exist in french. >>

Wrong!

Brin, as 'un brin d'herbe'
Brin: blade, fibre, sprig, stalk, strand, switch, twig, wire, wisp, or yarn
Lafayette   Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:24 am GMT
Quebec and Parisian French evolved separately from each other.

Quebec French is closer to 17th century French spoken in the Royal French Courtyard and nobility and then at the same time most of its people descended from settlers who came from Normandy and Picardie.

The most noticeable difference is the pronounciation of words with 'oi' dipthong as in the words 'moi' and 'toi'. French pronounce the words as 'mwa' and 'twa' while to the Quebeckers it's 'mwe' and 'twe'.

In addition Quebec retained archaic words that are no longer used in France but still understood.