Red Hot Chili Peppers

Humble   Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:13 am GMT
Hi,
Articles again.
The key says there should be “the/a” (referring to “jam session”), but I think the possessive case rules that out. Do you agree?
I was present at _ Red Hot Chili Peppers’ jam session.

Thanks.
Guest   Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:37 am GMT
The RHCP jam session = the particular RHCP jam session in question, being discussed, being considered....

A RHCP jam session = any RHCP jam session.
Humble   Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:19 am GMT
Thanks for your prompt replies, guys.
The point you've both made is basic and presents no problems even for beginners. What puzzled me was the/a+ -'s.
You can't say "I've heard a Dylan's song", "I'm wearing a Mother's dress", can you?
Sure enough, without 's we should use an article.
Guest   Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:10 am GMT
This is valid: "I'm wearing a mother's dress" = I'm wearing a dress that's typically worn by mothers.

But this is invalid: "I've heard a Dylan's song" where Dylan is a person.

I think referring to names is exceptional here. So it would have to be: "I've heard a Dylan song." or "I've heard the Dylan song."

This is also valid:
I've heard Dylan's song.
Guest   Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:21 am GMT
Re: "I think referring to names is exceptional here."

By this I mean an individual, a person, since you could have, say: "I've heard a Beatles' song" where Beatles is the name of a band.
Josh Lalonde   Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:34 am GMT
I think in this case, "Red Hot Chili Peppers" is actually working as an adjective. You could say "I was present at a good jam session", so if you simply switch RHCP for 'red', it works. This is why "*a Dylan's jam session" doesn't work. I suppose 'Beatles' is probaly doing the same thing.
The alternation between 'a' and 'the' is basically between, "old news" and "new news": 'a' is used the first time something is mentioned, while 'the' is used to refer to the same thing later on (in general; I'm sure there are exceptions).
Humble   Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:07 am GMT
Josh,
RHCP could indeed function as an attribute, but without -‘s. Whether the original sentence is better without -‘s is another matter.
If “ a Dylan's jam session” doesn’t work, why should “a RHCP’s” work? Any “a [name]’s” is wrong, IMHO. You seem to agree with this.

Guest,
my capitalizing Mother was intentional – it means MY mother.
Guest   Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:55 am GMT
>>Guest,
my capitalizing Mother was intentional – it means MY mother<<

Then it definitely wouldn't work.