Which accent is really more popular in the world?

Liz   Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:16 pm GMT
singing with an American accent

Not "with" rather "in".
Rene   Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:56 pm GMT
"lol...Rene....gave a full definition of the word "dangerous". ;)"

Why thank you, I certainly try.

"Nooo, Rene...that's not true! :-) Those who believe in these stereotypes are either ignorant or extremely narrow-minded."

Good for you Liz, that just goes to show that you are more high-minded than most.

As for British singers emulating American accents, I would think its probably easier to sing that way. I.E. there's more consonates and less vowels to pronounce. I was listening to Sting the other day and I knew he was from Newcastle, but it took a while to hear a trace of that accent. Finally, I reaslized duh! in his single "Every Breath" all of his vowels in take, make, etc. are very Northern English. So maybye it just sounds like some singers are faking an American accent because we're not really listening that closely.
s. jack   Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:21 pm GMT
American accent sounds more familiar to the peoples of the world, due to american cultural/political/economical domination, which may be earned in general but still is becoming increasingly annoying and unpopular.
Vinnie   Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:42 pm GMT
RP doesn't sound nice in dance songs:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2_Nsi05HkXw

murder on the dahnce floor LOL ;)
Guest   Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:03 pm GMT
I actually liked it, I really did :)
Liz   Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:57 am GMT
<<RP doesn't sound nice in dance songs:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2_Nsi05HkXw

murder on the dahnce floor LOL ;)>>

There's nothing wrong with that.
Pos   Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:31 am GMT
<Between British accent and American accent, which one do you think sounds more pleasing? Which one is more popular the world over? >

Is there such a thing as AN American or British accent? I've been in both countries and heard many accents.
Ramsey   Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:05 pm GMT
I think British accent is better or to be more honest, it is original one.
I do prefer Queen's English.
Liz   Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:45 pm GMT
<<I think British accent is better or to be more honest, it is original one.>>

No. That's a widespread but false supposition. Neither *the* British nor *the* American accent is "more original". In fact, neither of them is "the original". The original variety was English, neither British nor American, just English pure and simple. Besides, British English is less "original" (traditional) than American English in many ways.(English was originally rhotic, for example.) But that doesn't mean it is inferior.

It raises the question on what grounds we can decide which variety is better and which one is worse. This judgement is entirely subjective but somewhat pointless at the same time. The concept of "good" and "bad" is rather nebulous and in linguistic terms totally irrelevant. Of course, everyone has his own preferences, and there is nothing wrong with that. You can say that you prefer one particular variety over the other, but you can't claim ex cathedra that one is "worse" than the other.

<<I do prefer Queen's English.>>

Which one? The one she speaks nowadays or the one she used to speak?
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:11 pm GMT
The Queen.......some of her old voice recordings when she was young are either hilariously funny or gratingly stilted, depending on the mood you're in. But we musn't be too bitchy - Lilbet is 81 tomorrow - 21 April. Cheers, ma'am, have one on me!
Uriel   Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:57 pm GMT
Actually, there are plenty of singers whose native accent comes through in their singing -- Morrissey and the guy from the Psychedelic Furs sound thoroughly unAmerican in their vowels and their R-lessness, while many American singers definitely have a stronger R than the usual in-between semirhotic thing that you hear many singers use. (Sorry, the internet radio I listen to at work plays "Heaven" and "Girlfriend in a Coma" at least once a day -- I always think, Again? That poor girl!)
Rene   Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:15 pm GMT
Morrissey, Psychedelic Furs, Echo and the Bunnymen, Flock of Seagulls, Adam Ant, all great singers, even if they were famous before I was born.
Liz   Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:21 pm GMT
<<Morrissey, Psychedelic Furs, Echo and the Bunnymen, Flock of Seagulls, Adam Ant, all great singers, even if they were famous before I was born.>>

Agreed.
Cool American Guy   Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:37 pm GMT
I think that British accents are very appealing. At times, I wish that I was British. RP. Whatever you want to call it. The soft, soliloquy of their words brings redemption to mine ears.

I believe it would be great fun were we all to become individually a practiced soliloquist. And I mean that as a metaphor, not in the literal sense. ;)
Liz   Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:43 pm GMT
Soliloquy? Metaphor? :-) :-) :-)

It sounds so Shakespearian!

LOL! :-)