A host = a lot

Humble   Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:12 pm GMT
Hi,
I am addressing native speakers. How common is “a host’ meaning “a lot”? What do you think of these phrases:

1. A host of difficulties were ahead of us.
2. We were to overcome a host of difficulties.

I’d also like to get all possible connotations for its usage.

Thank you.
Josh Lalonde   Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:33 pm GMT
It's fairly common in writing, but I don't know anyone who would use it normally in speech. You could find it in newspapers, works of fiction, etc. so it's not particularly formal or informal. To me, using 'a host' instead of 'a lot' implies both a greater number, and the fact that the 'host' is usually an obstacle to be overcome. You probably wouldn't say "*I have a host of jewellery," because this isn't an obstacle or problem.
Guest   Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:35 pm GMT
It is pretty common in newspaper articles. A useful phrase to learn.

1.We have got a host of plans in the pipeline for producing our next music album.
2. A host of people are enrolling in ESL classes everyday and wasting their hard-earned money.
3. We can exchange a host of ideas on expanding our clothing business abroad.
4. GW Bush is facing a host of problems from all corners for retaning American troops in Iraq.
5. There is a host of dating websites to search through on the internet for finding a right partner.
Travis   Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:11 pm GMT
>>It's fairly common in writing, but I don't know anyone who would use it normally in speech. You could find it in newspapers, works of fiction, etc. so it's not particularly formal or informal. To me, using 'a host' instead of 'a lot' implies both a greater number, and the fact that the 'host' is usually an obstacle to be overcome. You probably wouldn't say "*I have a host of jewellery," because this isn't an obstacle or problem.<<

At least here, for expressing a greater size than "a lot" one would use "a whole lot" in actual everyday speech.
Humble   Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:27 am GMT
Thanks a lot.

So those sentences of mine are correct?
Rene   Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:51 pm GMT
Yes they are.