Dialect or new language

Guest   Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:22 pm GMT
Do you think a dialect of a language only becomes a 'new language' if the grammar changes substantially as opposed to the vocabulary? American English has seen a considerable change in its vocabulary from British English, yet very little grammtaical change, and is still considered the same language. I don't speak Dutch or Afrikaans, but from what I understand, the major difference between the two tongues, is the huge simplification of the Afrikaans grammatical structure compared to Dutch. It could be the case that the vocabulary has also diverged to a great degree, but I have heard that it hasn't really. So therefore I pose the question. Does the classification of a dialect as a new language depend much more on modifications to grammar than to modifications to vocabulary?
Josh Lalonde   Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:05 pm GMT
I would say that you're partially right, but the difference isn't that clear cut. Whether a certain language variety (lect) is considered a separate language or a dialect of another depends to a large extent on history and politics. Ideally, different dialects should be mutually intelligible, and different languages should not, but in practice, there are different degrees of intelligibility and they don't always match the common designations of lects.
Differences in grammar are probably more likely to hamper intelligibilty than differences in vocabulary, in my opinion. Even wide-spread differences in vocabulary will likely only change a few words in each sentence, that can be understood by context, whereas systematic differences in grammar can be much harder to decipher.
Guest   Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:58 pm GMT
Josh

I agree you should be right about different grammar hampering communication more than vocab. But does it actually? Afrikaans has just simplified its grammar from Dutch from what I understand, and so the Dutch still understand them very well, and more surprisingly the Afrikaans speakers still understand Dutch. But how often are there potential misunderstandings between British and American English speakers due to vocabulary? Obviously if a dialect developed a totally different grammatical structure it would be different, but they're not likely to, it's more likely to be a simplification or a slight change. Still I guess the potential misunderstandings between Britsih and Americann English speakers are few and far between at the end of the day.

Fannypack anyone? hehe