question

ESL   Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:04 am GMT
What is the name of that place/institution where people submit their old people like parents/grandparents?

Thanks.
Guest   Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:05 am GMT
retirement home
guest1   Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:25 am GMT
Out of curiosity, I'd like to ask why people submit their old people there.

Thanks in advance.
Pub Lunch   Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:20 am GMT
Old peoples home.
Darren   Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:33 am GMT
home
or
beadhouse
Guest   Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:26 am GMT
The reason people send their old people there is that when people become old, they become useless nuisances that can't look after themselves. People get sick and tired of wasting their time looking after their old so they submit them to the retirement homes to make their lives easier.
SpaceFlight   Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:20 am GMT
"retirement home" or "nursing home".
leena   Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:52 am GMT
what is the meaning of submit? why do use this verb?
ESL   Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:44 am GMT
leena

I used the term because lets say if you submit your thesis or assignment to your teachers you wont get it back usually. So when people submit their old people to a retirement home they are not going to take them back again.

<<The reason people send their old people there is that when people become old, they become useless nuisances that can't look after themselves. People get sick and tired of wasting their time looking after their old so they submit them to the retirement homes to make their lives easier. >>

Did these old people submit them to somewhere when they were kids? They could not feed themselves, they could not wash themselves, they could not change their clothes,they damaged many things in the house as kids, but did these old people submit them?

I know it is a vicious circle. These people who submit their parents/grandparents to a retirement house, they are going to be submitted to the same place by their sons/daugthers. It is a vicious circle.

No one is a nuisance for anyone. It is all in your mind, as they say.
Guest   Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:31 pm GMT
<< Out of curiosity, I'd like to ask why people submit their old people there. >>

Well, let's say that you and your spouse work 40+ hours a week, the kids are off in university or are busy with their own families. Who do you suppose is going to care for grandma and grandma and look after their needs? Would you rather they be left at home by themselves or be at a retirement home where they can interact with people their age?
Guest   Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:48 pm GMT
40+ hours a week is no excuse.
you can not submit your parents to any other place when they are old. Their blood runs into your veins of your body, you can not discard them.
If you asked them, their first choice answer would be: they would like to interact with you, your wife and your kids.

People have a lot of time for doing nonsensical stuff but have no time for taking care of their old people. That's why I'd say that this whole world is bullshit and pls dont get even me started on how people perform their duties at work. Logging into language related and other websites, and spending their time on chit-chat. It is all in your mind.
leena   Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:34 am GMT
esl
i got it. thanx