Pronouncing "guest".

Guest   Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:48 am GMT
I pronounce "guest" as "gist". Likewise, "get", "again" and "guess" are "git", "agin" and "giss" for me. Does anyone else have those pronunciations? I'm from the Northwest U.S.
Lazar   Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:50 am GMT
I use [E] for all those words.
Guest   Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:08 am GMT
Note that no pun was intended with the username I used.
Travis   Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:02 pm GMT
I likewise have [E] in "guest" ["gEst], "get" ["gE?], "again" [@:"gE~:n], and "guess" ["gEs].
Sarcastic Northwesterner   Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:15 pm GMT
Interesting that someone else would bring this up. I pronounce them like Guest above.
Jim   Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:54 am GMT
I pronounce them all with [e]: same phoneme as Travis & Lazar different accent.
Josh Lalonde   Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:28 am GMT
I use [E] in all these words. I wasn't aware that any North American accents didn't. Although 'get' is often unstressed, and my default unstressed vowel is [I] so I sometimes have [gI?] for 'get'
andre in usa   Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:54 am GMT
I had no idea [I] was used in place of [E] in the Northwest US. I've read that it is in part of California and of course the South. Interesting.
Tavorian   Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:08 pm GMT
Am I think only one that has two pronounciations for "just"?

just is [dZ6st] when talking as in "justice" or "Fair".

just is [dZUst]~[dZ1st] when in a sentance like "I just wanted to talk to her, that's all..."

Sorry for posting this in this thread, but I can't start a new one.
Josh Lalonde   Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:11 pm GMT
<<Am I think only one that has two pronounciations for "just"?>>

No, I think that's pretty common. 'Just' meaning 'fair' is usually stressed, wheras 'just' meaning 'only' often isn't and is therefore reduced. I have basically the same pronunciations as you for these, though I don't think I would use [U].
Lazar   Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:15 pm GMT
Yeah, I have reduced pronunciations for "just" in the same contexts as you and Josh - I think I'd use [@] or [I\].
Travis   Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:46 pm GMT
I likewise unreduced "just" ["dZVst] versus reduced "just" ["dZVs] with the same sort of distribution and usage.
Sarcastic Northwesterner   Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:41 pm GMT
Here's how I pronounce them:
http://www.ax6.org/freeupload/t2.wav

I actually thought that just about everyone pronounced them like that. Almost everyone here says that like that. I've heard tv and radio announcers say them like that a lot. I've heard books on tape, where the reader said them like that. I'm beginning to think that this is one of the unusual quirks of the Pacific Northwestern accent? Maybe the only unusual quirk/Shibboleth of a PNW accent besides the cot-caught merger? Other than that I think my accent is the Standard, right?
Sarcastic Northwesterner   Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:53 am GMT
Oh and besides the -ing as -een thing as well. That's unique, right? I guess no one else has that?
Josh Lalonde   Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:30 am GMT
<<Oh and besides the -ing as -een thing as well. That's unique, right? I guess no one else has that?>>

Doesn't California have that as well?