pin-pen merger

Tavorian   Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:37 pm GMT
I have the pin-pen merger ([E] becomes [I] before nasals).

<a> before nasals also does something, it becomes something like [EjI_^].

Does anybody know if this is an affect of the pin-pen merger?

I also have /I/ > /i/ before /N/, is this part of the merger?

Also, who else has this (awesome) merger?
CaliforniaEnglish   Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:30 pm GMT
Don't they do those things in California English?
Someone   Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:25 pm GMT
Well I pronounce when and win as [wIn], and windy and Wendy as [wIndy], but I'm not quite sure whether or not its the pin-pen merger, or something else, as pin and pen are distinct for me.
Josh Lalonde   Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:16 pm GMT
I think you're mixing two different things, Tavorian. The pin-pen merger only affects [E] as far as I know, but most North American dialects have a different allophone of /{/ before nasals. I think what you're referring to is the 'Southern drawl', which turns the front lax vowels into triphthongs in certain situations (generally before voiced stops, nasals, and /s/). The way I've usually seen it transcribed is [{j@]

had [h{j@d]
pass [p{j@s]
hand [h{j@nd] or [h{j@~d]

This triphthongisation also occurs on /E/ and /I/, so:

head [hej@d]

bid [bij@d]

Is this accurate for your accent?
Someone   Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:23 pm GMT
Isn't it [{:j@] in a Southern accent?
Guest   Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:28 pm GMT
<<The pin-pen merger only affects [E] as far as I know, but most North American dialects have a different allophone of /{/ before nasals. I think what you're referring to is the 'Southern drawl', which turns the front lax vowels into triphthongs in certain situations (generally before voiced stops, nasals, and /s/). The way I've usually seen it transcribed is [{j@]

had [h{j@d]
pass [p{j@s]
hand [h{j@nd] or [h{j@~d]

This triphthongisation also occurs on /E/ and /I/, so:

head [hej@d]

bid [bij@d]

Is this accurate for your accent?>>

No. I only have the allophone [EjI_^] before nasal consonants, so "tan" is [tEjI_^n] while "had" is [h{d]. I don't have the Southern drawl.
Tavorian   Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:30 pm GMT
The above poster was me.