monophthongs

Tavorian   Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:31 pm GMT
In my native dialect, i can only distinguish 9 monophthongs.

there is:

father, bought/bot - /A/
set - /E/
machine - I think this is /i/.
goal - /o/ (usually realized as [7U] when not before /l/ and /r/)
hoop - /u/ Most likely
get - /I/
bat - /{/
hook - /U/, slightly closer to [@] I think.
nut - /6/

I have concluded that these are the only monophthongs in my dialect. Do you have more monophthongs?
Lazar   Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm GMT
I have:

[A] "father"
[Q] "cot, bother"
[E] "set"
[i] "machine" (this one may really be a very narrow diphthong, going from near-close front to close front)
[u] "hoop" (this one is really a diphthong, going from near-close back to close back)
[I] "bit"
[{] "bat"
[U] "hook"
[V] "nut"
[3`] "turn"

(I use monophthongal [i] and [u] in my transcription for the sake of simplicity and convention.)
Lazar   Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:42 pm GMT
Actually, "cot, caught" would be a more descriptive label for my [Q].

Also, I think it's an arbitrary choice whether you consider the "turn" vowel to be a rhoticized vowel or a syllabic consonant.
Tavorian   Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:22 pm GMT
I'd transcribe "turn" as [t=r\n], hence it's not really a monophthong, but a syllabic consonant.

<<Actually, "cot, caught" would be a more descriptive label for my [Q].>>

Yeah, I could have used that, but I went with bot/bought.
Travis   Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:12 pm GMT
I have the monothongs:

[a] "father"
[E_"] "set" (note that some here may lower this, even though in my own idiolect it is not lowered)
[e_o] "pear"
[e] "date"
[I_"] "bit"
[i] "machine" (second syllable)
[@] "machine" (first syllable)
[Q] "cought"
[O] "door"
[V] "nut"
[o] "goal"
[U_"] "hook" (this is generally somewhat centralized, but it is far less centralized in many English dialects)
[u] "hoop"

Some notes, though, is that the long vowels [e:], [i:], and [u:] may actually be the narrow diphthongs [E:e], [I:i], and [U:u] at times, especially when lengthened though being stressed. However, their short counterparts [e], [i], [u], which are always pure monophthongs. Also, this does not occur consistently enough for me to actually transcribe them as [E:e], [I:i], and [U:u] rather than [e:], [i:], [u:].

Also note that there are no true back monophthongs IMD after coronals, because all back vowels partially assimilate to coronals so as to form a rising diphthong with them such that the final position is the normal monophthongal position but the starting position is centralized or, in the case of /tu/ and /du/ in careful speech (where one can have [tyu] and [dyu]), is fronted.

Likewise, all vowels before coda /l/ are really diphthongs or triphthongs due to acquiring the offglide [M_^] or [U_^] depending on whether the vowel is rounded (in the case of diphthongs, depending on whether the vowel ends as rounded).

>>Also, I think it's an arbitrary choice whether you consider the "turn" vowel to be a rhoticized vowel or a syllabic consonant.<<

I myself consider such to just be a syllabic consonant IMD, simply because it is in the same position as my usual coda [R_o] except it is syllabic with respect to syllabification and like.
Travis   Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:13 pm GMT
Note though that I have not generally actually transcribed the assimilation of back vowels to coronals, so that is why such has not really shown up in my transcriptions.
Josh Lalonde   Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:45 pm GMT
[a_+] trap
[E] set
[E_r] pear
[e] date
[I] bit
[i] machine (second syllable)
[@] machine (first syllable)
[Q] caught, cot, father
[A] start
[o] goat
[O] door
[V_"] nut
[U_"] hook
[u] hoop
[a_"] style

Like Lazar, I often have a slight glide on [i] and [u], especially in open syllables. [o] is always [oU] in open syllables. My [3`] isn't really a monophthong, it's something like [6@`], though it is rounded in some cases. 'Style' is usually pronounced as two syllables before a vowel, so has a monophthong for /aI/, but before a consonant, it would have [a_"o].
Travis   Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:01 pm GMT
I forgot to mention, though, that I also have:

[A] "start"

Such is due to allophony of /a/ before and after /r/ and after /w/.
Travis   Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:06 pm GMT
Whoops, that should be [A] "star", as I have [V] in "start".
Jim   Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:04 am GMT
I have fifteen monophthongs: seven short and eight long. Though my NEAR and SQUARE vowels are variable sometimes being realised as centring diphthongs [I@] & [e@] respectively (generally where the syllable is open).

THE = [@]
LAD = [{]
STRUT = [6]
LOT = [O]
FOOT = [U]
KIT = [I]
DRESS = [e]

NURSE = [3:]
BAD = [{:]
PALM = [6:]
THOUGHT = [o:]
GOOSE = [u:]