don't got

Tavorian   Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:52 pm GMT
Does anyone here ever use "don't got"? I have "don't got" interchangeably with "don't have", but interestingly for the past tense and third person singular I can only have "didn't have" and "doesn't have", never *"didn't got" and *"doesn't got".
Lazar   Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:30 pm GMT
No, I don't use that.
Jim   Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:43 am GMT
It's "don't have" or "haven't got" for me, never "don't got".
Josh Lalonde   Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:33 am GMT
I do use this occasionally, though only in the most informal situations. It seems to be tied to an interesting pronunciation of "don't". I normally pronounce it [do~?], but in this phrase, I seem to always use [o~?]. So when I say "I don't got any money" it's [ao~?"go?Ini%mVni].
Josh Lalonde   Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:37 pm GMT
Sorry, that should be [ao~?"gQ?Ini%mVni]
Travis   Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:50 pm GMT
>>I do use this occasionally, though only in the most informal situations. It seems to be tied to an interesting pronunciation of "don't". I normally pronounce it [do~?], but in this phrase, I seem to always use [o~?]. So when I say "I don't got any money" it's [ao~?"go?Ini%mVni].<<

I frequently have such a pronunciation of "don't", which I pronounce as [o~?], [o~n], or just [o~] (with [o~n] being preferred before vowels, but any of them showing up before consonants), but it is more dependent on what it follows (which seems somewhat lexicalized); in particular, it shows up very frequently after (non-third person singular) personal pronouns, especially "I" in particular.

I seem to have had such /d/ elision extended by analogy to "doesn't" (as [V:zI~?], [V:zn=?], [V:zn=], or [V:zI~]) and "didn't" (as [I::~?], [I:n:?], [I::~], or [I:n:]). However, these are not as frequently used as the aforementioned pronunciations of "don't". Also note that these do not usually show up after "it", probably due to such ending in a consonant.