should I learn Canadian English

Paul   Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:34 pm GMT
There are so many different accents in English speaking countries that it is impossible to say what is best. It is also true that most people who speak English will have trouble identifying other English accents from outside thier country or region. If you go to Canada or the US, many (most) people cannot tell the difference between an English/Irish/Scottish/Welsh or even Australian accent, unless it is a thick, stereotypical one.

As for being substandard or hard to understand, there are accents like that everywhere. For example, I usually find most British accents easy to understand, but, just the other day, a British Teenager asked me for directions and he had the "mahbles in the mouth" British accent, and I had to ask him to repeat himself several times. I travelled to Dallas several years ago, and not everybody speaks like cowboys or race car drivers. Although I've never been there, I hear that not everyone in Australia speaks like the Crocodile Hunter either.

If you're going to College or University in an English speaking country, it's likely you will pick up a clear and understandible version of English. If you want to hear the differences between Canadian and American accents, watch a Candian news program and then an American one. You will hear subtle differences, but both are easy to understand.
Guest   Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:54 am GMT
"Although I've never been there, I hear that not everyone in Australia speaks like the Crocodile Hunter either."

You'd probably never find another Australian who speaks as badly as Steve Irwin.
Guest   Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:05 am GMT
Steve Irwin speaks just fine.
Guest   Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:06 am GMT
Though it's true that not too many people speak like him.
Guest   Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:53 pm GMT
>Though it's true that not too many people speak like him. <

Yeah you tell the Americans we don't all speak like that idiot and they still don't believe us. I wonder if I asked them if they all spoke like their President George Bush.
Guest   Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:16 pm GMT
Irwin's not an idiot. He's more successful and intelligent than the stupid rabble who have nothing better to do than whinge about him.
Guest   Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:28 pm GMT
>Irwin's not an idiot. He's more successful and intelligent than the stupid rabble who have nothing better to do than whinge about him.<

And? It's my opinion and nothing will stop me say what I want. Anyway I do admit his successful and intelligent but sadly his accent doesn't cut it for me.

AND GUESS WHAT - I'm Australian too. And no I'm not a self centred Queenslander for once. ;)
Guest   Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:36 am GMT
"And? It's my opinion and nothing will stop me say what I want. Anyway I do admit his successful and intelligent "

And make up your mind: is he an idiot or intelligent?
Guest   Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:47 am GMT
<"And? It's my opinion and nothing will stop me say what I want. Anyway I do admit his successful and intelligent "

And make up your mind: is he an idiot or intelligent? >

Oh if you didn't cut my the end of my last sentence you would of got my answer.
Guest   Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:49 am GMT
I know: Queenslander!
Guest   Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:59 am GMT
<I know: Queenslander!>

:o You mean cow!
Guest   Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:08 am GMT
Well that makes it weirder. A fellow Queenslander called an idiot because of his accent. That's just un-maroon-like.
Guest   Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:56 am GMT
The trouble is that Irwin has single-handedly convinced a hell of a lot of people in other countries that all Australians speak as he does, despite the fact that probably less than one percent do. Many NAs and Poms are probably unaware that some of our better-spoken exports are even from Oz, as their normal speech is rarely heard because of their willingness to play roles which require the use of American or UK accents.
Guest   Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:05 am GMT
The Poms probably think we all speak and live like the neighbours in Neighbours which is pretty big over there. And it covers a spectrum of Aus-speak.

Who cares anyway? I don't think too many really care either way. If they do then they're probably aware of the other exports besides Crocboy.
Benquasha   Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:28 pm GMT
Who are the poms?