snuck

Tavorian   Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:14 pm GMT
I always use this as the past tense of "sneak". "sneaked" just sounds wrong to me. What about others?
Lazar   Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:30 pm GMT
I usually say "snuck".
Liz   Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:34 am GMT
Well, as far as I'm aware, both are equally "correct" and acceptable.

As for me, I prefer "sneaked". Sometimes I do say "snuck" but it sounds just weird to me. I don't say it's wrong, just funny-sounding, I don't know why.
Guest   Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:56 am GMT
I have always been led to believe that 'snuck' is American and 'sneaked' is British - am I wrong???

I use both, but probably use 'sneaked' slightly more.

In england we can call someone a 'sneak' but can you call someone a 'snuck'?? Also you 'sneaked around' but can you 'snucked around'?? You can be 'sneaking' but can you be 'snucking'???

Ok I am making no sense - but then thinking about it 'snuck' is a strange word, how did it come about?? For the record, despite not using it as often, I like snuck better.
Liz   Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:08 pm GMT
<<I have always been led to believe that 'snuck' is American and 'sneaked' is British - am I wrong???>>

Well, I guess you are right in thinking that "snuck" is more popular on the other side of the puddle. Am I right am I not?

<<Ok I am making no sense - but then thinking about it 'snuck' is a strange word, how did it come about?? For the record, despite not using it as often, I like snuck better.>>

No, I don't think it's strange per se...just the way it sounds...just like an onomatopoetic word.
Liz   Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:25 pm GMT
Well, yes...in fact it's an onomatopoetic word.

What I wanted to get at is that the long vowel of "sneaked" (however, it becomes short when followed by a voiceless stop, which is in this case a "k" - still, it's slightly longer than the vowel in "snuck") expresses the action of "sneaking" much better than the extremely short vowel in "snuck". Sounds like a short click or suchlike...I mean the latter one.

I know it sounds stupid as it's just MY entirely subjective way of perceiving things like that.

Terribly sorry for writing nonsense again...

BTW, is there anyone out there who feels the same way, too? Just out of curiosity...
Guest   Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:20 pm GMT
Liz, I am male but I have a crush on your accent. How can I imitate your accent?
Liz   Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:22 pm GMT
<<Liz, I am male but I have a crush on your accent. How can I imitate your accent?>>

Sorry but how the hell do you know what my accent is like?
Travis   Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:29 pm GMT
I use both "snuck" and "sneaked"; how frequently I use each, though, I am not quite certain at the moment.
Guest   Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:34 pm GMT
<Sorry but how the hell do you know what my accent is like? >

darling, just listened to your clips on this very forum. :)
Guest   Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:35 pm GMT
<I use both "snuck" and "sneaked"; how frequently I use each, though, I am not quite certain at the moment. >

It does not matter. They will be lost in the length of your sentence. ;)
Rene   Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:36 pm GMT
I use snuck more often, sneaked sounds wierd in most contexts, to me anyway.
Josh Lalonde   Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:38 pm GMT
I definitely use 'snuck' more often than 'sneaked' (though I don't really use either that often). North American English as a whole tends to prefer strong verb conjugations in some cases where British English uses the weak verb. There's also "dive, dove" in NAE, but "dive, dived" in the UK; there's also some nonstandard ones like "climb,clumb".
Liz   Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:46 pm GMT
<<darling, just listened to your clips on this very forum. :)>>

Darling, I thought it had been deleted a long time ago. There is a certain expiry date at Uploadhut, as far as I know.
Guest   Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:52 pm GMT
oh come on sweetie, I downloaded your accent a long time ago in my pc but i did not have time to login in on the forum at that time. Now I am asking about your accent. You sounded like British. My comments were like: : your voice is awesome and your accent is double awesome and Damian was in agreement with me. Stop playing games, let's get down to nitty-gritty stuff. Tell me something about your lovely accent. When I listened to it , the pictures of late Diana had conjured up in my head.