Will you analyze my accent?

Dustin   Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:58 pm GMT
What are the features of my accent?

http://media.putfile.com/Comma-Gets-A-Cure-32

Thanks!
Josh Lalonde   Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:30 am GMT
A few things that stood out for me:
GOAT [g@Ut] you have a very fronted onset compared to me (Canadian English)
GOOSE [g}Us] also very fronted
FACE [feIs] more of an off-glide than is usual in GenAm

'Old' sounds like [7Ud] but it's hard to tell because there's a pop on the sound file at that time.
Are you from Pennsylvania? (Sort of a guess)
Lazar   Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:09 am GMT
You definitely have the Mary-merry-marry merger, the Tory-torrent merger, the serious-Sirius merger, and the hurry-furry. These only stand out to me because I'm from the Northeast. ;-)

I also thought your "old" sounded like [7Ud].

Your "liking" sounded like ["laIkIN], so I don't think you have Canadian Raising.

Your vowel in "goat" seemed to have a fronted onset, something like [@U] or [@U\]. So I would guess that "code" and "cold" aren't homophones for you.

Your "goose" vowel sounded fronted, like [U\u] or [U\}].

Your "animal" sounded something like ["{n@mo], so you might have a consistent pattern of l-vocalization.

And it seems that you use an unrounded vowel in "foot", the transcription of which is actually the topic of discussion right now in another thread. ;-)

Your "dog" vowel seemed to have a little bit of a Southern offglide, something like [QU]. And when you said "stressed", it could be my imagination, but it sounded like you had a bit of Southern diphthongization there as well, with something like [E@].

Your "sentimental" sounded like [sInt@"mInto], which reinforces my impression of your l-vocalization, and also seems to indicate that you have the pen-pin merger.

I'm guessing that you're from either Pennsylvania, West Virginia, or Virginia.
Dustin   Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:29 am GMT
You are quite skilled, Lazar.
I'm from West Virginia.
Guest   Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:52 pm GMT
I was thinking Virginia.
Lake   Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:51 am GMT
Virginia sounds NOTHING like Pennsylvania.
Guest   Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:42 pm GMT
That's because Virginia start with a V.