Saying "Congratulations!" to a Bride!!

Native Korean   Fri May 04, 2007 12:10 am GMT
I heard it's rude to say "Congratulations!" to a bride in a wedding ceremony.
Saying "Congratulations!" is only for a bridegroom.

Is that true? (Is it really inappopriate?)

If so, why is it rude and what should I say to the happy bride?
Guest   Fri May 04, 2007 12:52 am GMT
Dont waste hubby's hard \
earned money on shopping!
Delia   Fri May 04, 2007 2:18 am GMT
Old Victorian etiquette dictates that you never congratulation a bride on her wedding because it implies that she's the lucky one who got someone to propose marriage. The groom is the one to be congratulated for getting the lovely lady to accept his proposal. You give the bride your best wishes.

Of course, in this day and age, many people don't follow these rules, if they're even aware of them at all.
Peter   Sat May 05, 2007 4:38 am GMT
Only people who haven't manners forget this social rule. One should only say 'Congratulations' to the bridegroom.
Guest   Sat May 05, 2007 6:09 pm GMT
I used to say: "fucked daughter of a bitch!! You managed to catch the bird, uh??"- I think it's appropriate if you know the bride
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun May 06, 2007 11:03 pm GMT
What's wrong with congratulating a bride on her devious, manipulative, scheming skills in the entrapment and ensnarement of an unsuspecting bloke who, as likely as not, will have most of his assets as well as his progeny stripped off him by similar tactics in a court of law should things go pear shaped in the marriage? Of course she is the one to be congratulated for working it all down to a fine art.
Delia   Mon May 07, 2007 12:13 am GMT
LOL. It's true that us women resort to cunning trickery to ensnare an unsuspecting sap...um, I mean, gentleman. Oh, the games we play! But, the thing is, you men fall for it hook, line, an sinker and come away thinking that you are the lucky ones to have landed such a sweet lass. LOL.

Personally, I think brides *should* be congratulated since, in most Western cultures, the bride are the ones who make all the wedding decisions, while the grooms simply have to show up sober.