Even if OR Even though ??

K   Fri May 04, 2007 2:18 pm GMT
What's the difference?
furrykef   Fri May 04, 2007 10:18 pm GMT
In some simple cases, the two are completely distinct. For example:

* I will make it to work on time even if my car breaks down.
* I will make it to work even though my car will break down.

In the first sentence, the speaker doesn't think his car actually will break down; it's a hypothetical scenario. In the second sentence, for whatever reason, the speaker is certain his car will break down.

Sometimes the distinction is less clear. Compare these two sentences:

* I won't eat even if I am hungry.
* I won't eat even though I'm hungry.

In the first sentence, it's possible that the speaker isn't hungry yet, but still won't eat once he is. In the second sentence, the speaker is already hungry. The first sentence could also indicate that the speaker thinks whether or not he's hungry is irrelevant:

Mom: Aren't you hungry?
Child: I won't eat even if I *am* hungry!

In this case, the child probably is hungry, but considers it irrelevant. The reason he's not eating isn't because he's not hungry, but probably because something is troubling him. The sentence "I won't eat even though I am hungry" is also possible, but doesn't emphasize the irrelevance aspect. It's a pretty fine nuance.

If you have any particular cases in mind that you're not sure about, you can just ask. :)

- Kef
K   Sat May 05, 2007 11:07 am GMT
No, I was not referring to a particular case, thanks. It is a grammatical doubt! I didn't understand the difference and I did not find something clear on books, so I used even if/though indifferently when I'm speaking.
Thank you for explanation
unnge   Sun May 06, 2007 7:00 am GMT
nothings differ