ESL topics: You get to choose

K. T.   Sun May 13, 2007 10:33 pm GMT
What topics would you like to study in an ESL class for intermediate learners?

Thanks to all!
Liz   Mon May 14, 2007 1:08 pm GMT
Topics within the "narrow" confines of our terribly tedious everyday life would be the most suitable for intermediate learners, I reckon. Such as family, school, job, travelling, health, eating/drinking, English-speaking countries, education, media, crime, current topics etc. but not the topics that require an extremely high level of English.

It's by no means an exhaustive list but I hope it helps.

I don't know your class, so I can't guarantee that it works. You are the one who is entitled to find out what is the best for them.
Kama   Fri May 18, 2007 1:14 am GMT
Any topics that would help build students' casual conversation skills. Many students are good at the more advanced and formal level of english but ironically are poor in english at the lower level!! It's particularly true among students who worship grammar and english tests.
K.T.   Sat May 19, 2007 1:37 am GMT
Thank you for your suggestions. I wonder if there are core expressions that are being missed at the intermediate level.

For those of you who have taught a diverse class of adults: I've taught Japanese adults and children of various nationalities. Now, I'm looking at a class of culturally diverse immigrants (Bosnian, Korean, Peruvian, and Russian); What expressions did your students enjoy learning?

For those who have learned ESL to a high level: What expressions helped you to move forward in English? What words helped open up English to you?

Thanks again to Liz and Kama.