Which accent should I choose to speak Spanish?

Roberto   Mon May 14, 2007 9:01 pm GMT
Hi,
I'm studying spanish, I love this language but I wonder with which accent must I speak. Because I've noticed there are a lot of various accents and in order to speak fluently a language you must identify with a country or an accent in particular. I don't want the spanish-speaking people think I am a foreigner. So which accent shoud you recommend to me?

Saludos,
Soy un estudiante en español, me encanta esa lengua pero me pregunto con qué acento debo hablar. Porque noté que hay una gran variedad de acentos y para mejor hablar creo que uno se debe identificar con un pais o un acento en particular, porque no quiero que la gente hispanohablante piense que soy extranjero. Cual acento me recomendaria?
Condorito   Mon May 14, 2007 9:04 pm GMT
El argentino me parece adecuado para vos
Guest   Mon May 14, 2007 9:55 pm GMT
A neutral accent is always best.
furrykef   Mon May 14, 2007 10:11 pm GMT
The only thing I can recommend is find one you like and go for it.

Don't forget that you have to decide not only on accent, but vocabulary. Different countries use different words for things. The words you use by default should ideally match your accent. I say "computadora" rather than "ordenador", so I'd use a Latin American accent of some kind.

- Kef
acentos   Tue May 15, 2007 4:48 pm GMT
El español es un único idioma. Todos los hispanohablantes, sean de donde sean se entienden a la perfección, pese a sus diferentes acentos y léxicos, estas son diferencias salvables con la buena voluntad. No es necesario que te dediques a imitar un acento en particular ni que, mucho menos, te "identifiques" con un habla. Si tienes un buen profesor aprenderás un español estándar, comprensible en todo el mundo.
Guest   Tue May 15, 2007 5:01 pm GMT
Roberto, to my opinion, the best Spanish is spoken by educated Spanish speakers, mainly by those who live in Castilla region around Madrid, and again, educated people in México City. They don't omit any sound and the have an immaculate pronunciation and clarity. If you can, go online and lisgten to radio stations that belong to universities and you will hear a very good Spanish. I am from Northern México and I have to admit that our Spanish is not very good. ¡Buena suerte!
Roberto   Tue May 15, 2007 5:06 pm GMT
Gracias a todos; thanks to everyone!
Aracelie   Tue May 15, 2007 7:35 pm GMT
Just don't choose the Mexican accent, it's not very classy and people in Spain will look down on you if you speak with a Mexican accent, because anything Mexican is equated with low class among Spaniards, Argentineans, and the majority of Latin Americans, which I agree with.
Guest   Tue May 15, 2007 7:57 pm GMT
Aracelie, if you don't know it, a lot fo people from Spain accept Mexican singers and there is a good number of them who move to México from Spain to become famous in the continent. Same thing with artists from other Latin American countries. Do you think Argetina with all their economic problems has the pride to look down on Mexicans? Central Americans, Peruvians, and all those countries that ar worse off than Mexico, do you think they look down on Mexicans? I don't think so, and if they do it, they would look pathetic. Mexico, for a good number of years has sent its music, TV programs, and culture to other countries. Have you ever been in Spain? Have you heard undecated person from Andalucia speak Spanish? An educated Mexican has a better accent than an educated person from any other country, except Spain. You don't know what you're talking about. I assume that you or your background is from those irrelevant countries. Ni siquera has de saber hablar español ni mucho menos escribirlo. ¿De dónde eres o de dónde es la que te parió? "Look down on Mexicans", por favor no me hagas reír, y no me salgas conque eres de España porque no te lo creería. Envidiosa.
Vincent   Tue May 15, 2007 9:10 pm GMT
Roberto, copia este acento, es culto sin ser estandard o demasiado neutral, el tipo es uruguayo pero no exagera los rasgos tipicamente argentinos como la "y" pronunciada [sh], él pronuncia màs bien como [zh] y en general habla màs suave.

http://es.arcoiris.tv/modules.php?name=Search&testo=zibechi&tipo=testo

es la primera entrevista que aparece
Guest   Tue May 15, 2007 9:56 pm GMT
Some mexicans have the tendency to yodel in words (as a sign of distress or displeasure) and sound like their inhaling and exhaling when speaking, however, I've heard this usage is in D.F and its bordering states Mexico. Even though few educated mexicans from D.F still show this trait, just minimized and reduced.

I would suppose most foreign people on here would base their argument of Mexico's serf speech from D.F and not the other states with a pleasant and decent accent (e.g. aguascalientes, zacatecas, jalisco, colima, parts of guanajuato & michoacan) which these states have the sibilant s in place and a joyous speech to give it a nice touch to it.