grammar questions in narrative style of writing

xprain   Tue May 15, 2007 8:21 am GMT
Hi, I am a ESL learner and I am trying to write some short stories to study writing...I was reading a short story to get some ideas of developing and building characters throughout story.

(oh by the way does the last sentence make sense? should I say
building characters through story or throughout a story ??? would anyone correct the sentence ?)

The short story was "The Bully" and these sentences are bits and pieces of the story.

-------------------
1. "Darn thing sticks once in a while," said Tony. "Could you help me get him in the van?" asked his wife.

2. "You remember. Don't you?" he said, looking directly into my eyes.
"I remember, Tony," I said.

--------------

Firstly, in no.1 it says "blabh blabh blah " said [someone].
this format right?

and in no.2 it says "blah blah blah" [someone] said.

I just wanna know what's the difference between those two different ways of writing. like......

"I just don't know how to right an essay!" said xprain.

or

"I just don't know how to right an essay!" xprain said.

what's the difference between the two sentences above ??

------ please correct my mistakes in grammar. I'd be glad to know
where I made mistakes.
Guest   Tue May 15, 2007 8:23 am GMT
There isn't really much of a difference, but I would say that the first way is the normal way to write, and the second way puts extra emphasis on the person who said it.
Guest   Tue May 15, 2007 5:07 pm GMT
I'm not sure what the difference is, probably a matter of emphasis as the above poster said. However, note that you would not normally invert the word order when pronouns are involved. So it would always be 'Blah Blah' I said, and not 'Blah Blah' said I, unless you wanted to be very stylistic.
xprain   Wed May 16, 2007 8:56 pm GMT
Thanks mates!!!! I appreciate that!