Caramel and Syrup

Rick Johnson   Thu May 17, 2007 8:19 pm GMT
Ka-ra-mel and Si-rup
Lazar   Fri May 18, 2007 1:18 am GMT
<<It was traditionally defined as "not Southern and not Northeastern", but I think the prevalence of the cot-caught merger, the California Vowel Shift, and the NCVS mean that it must be defined as "not Western or Northern" as well.>>

Haha, that's true; the GA-speaking region may have contracted to practical nonexistence at this point. But I agree that GA is useful as an abstraction of non-regional speech.
Travis   Fri May 18, 2007 3:15 am GMT
>>Haha, that's true; the GA-speaking region may have contracted to practical nonexistence at this point. But I agree that GA is useful as an abstraction of non-regional speech.<<

I have to agree here - and it seems like the only way to really such effective elimination of GA as something that is really spoken by native speakers as such is to redefine GA as optionally including the cot-caught merger.
Nort Central   Mon May 21, 2007 9:17 pm GMT
>> but I think the prevalence of the cot-caught merger, the California Vowel Shift, and the NCVS mean that it must be defined as "not Western or Northern" as well. <<

Hmm. Well, that leaves only da Nort Central and the Midlands, heh?
Guest   Mon May 21, 2007 9:30 pm GMT
The Midlands are transitionally cot-caught merged.
Uriel   Tue May 22, 2007 3:05 am GMT
Care-a-mel and seer-up.
Travis   Tue May 22, 2007 3:09 am GMT
>>Hmm. Well, that leaves only da Nort Central and the Midlands, heh?<<

Over here that'd be more like "da NoRRth Ce~chruw" [d_d@:"nORT"sE~tSr\M:], but same difference.