spell/spelling

Guest   Fri May 18, 2007 10:19 am GMT
Do you say "I have a strong doubt" or "I have a high doubt"?
furrykef   Fri May 18, 2007 9:44 pm GMT
Who said that an adverb has to precisely match its corresponding adjective in usage? One could also say "He thinks highly of himself", a standard and well-established construction, but there is no corresponding usage of "high" there, either. ("He thinks of himself as high" is unclear and unnatural, and "He thinks he's high" is likely to be interpreted to refer either to literal height or drug usage.)

I don't see anything wrong with "highly doubt", but for a while I didn't like the word "highly" in that sense because I felt it was being overused... I don't mind it as much now, but it should be used sparingly.

- Kef
Mark   Mon May 21, 2007 2:48 pm GMT
"We cant understand British accents or for that matter any other foreign accent than our native one so we do have a problem understanding native speakers as well as non-native speakers. Let's face it. There is no country like America and there are no citizens like Americans. We are truly a great nation!" - Guest

I doubt you speak on the behalf of all American's; I've known a few and they may seem a little loud, but they tend to be quite down to earth and friendly, and some even like our accents.

Whilst I have a slight aversion to American spelling, I generally think it is of little importance, and would far rather understand the meaning, than the message.