The English Words Sun and Sol in Your Language

Frances   Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:14 am GMT
I thought this is what happened:

collection of gas ---> grow bigger by gravity ---> sun (white light) ---> grows bigger ---> supernova (red light) ----> implosion ----> white dwarf (small yellow/white)

I think supernovas can make new suns through weaker gravitational forces allowing gases to escape (less density)
Uriel   Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:10 pm GMT
When I took astronomy, no mention was ever made of "suns" being the remnants of supernovas. (White dwarfs and black holes, sure.) Sun and star was interchangeable.

And as for our sun having siblings elsewhere, with planets and intelligent life, that may be, but not because they are "related" to our sun, or have a similar origin ... planetary formation appears to be quite common, and no one knows if there is intelligent life out there.
Brennus   Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:16 am GMT
Frances and Uriel,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, sometimes supenovas do leave behind white dwarfs, neutron stars and and even black holes if they are large enough.

Nevertheless, according to Carl Sagan, smaller stars like the sun are hatched in nursuries. These nursuries are gas clouds which have collapsed from supernovas. One of the biggest of these nursuries has been found in the Great Nebula of Orion about 1500 light years away which is still considered fairly close to Earth by astronomical standards.
Our sun came out of a nursury like this 4 and 1/2 billion years ago.

Also, all of the precious metals and ores (gold, silver, platinum, nickel manganese, aluminum, copper etc. that are in the earth, and even in some asteroids and meteorites , can be formed only inside a supernova type star.
Travis   Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:31 am GMT
Uriel, the reason for Brennus's comment is that supernovas, and other processes in red giant and blue giant stars which cause such to occur, are what produce the heavier elements which are necessary to form the planets, along with other entities like asteroids and comets, which circle suns (as stars that don't have such things circling them cannot be called suns). In the early universe, before supernovas started occurring, there were not any heavy elements available to actually permit the formation of solar systems, and hence it was only after the first supernovas when solar systems and like started actually forming.
Uriel   Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:04 pm GMT
I know my astronomy, guys. I understand the processes of stellar formation and the synthesis of heavier elements than hydrogen and helium through fusion. My original comment was that I had not heard that the word "suns" was reserved solely for the end-products of supernovas; I have heard it being used interchangeably with "star" (albeit in a poetic way) regardless of stellar class or stage of life cycle.
Frances   Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:50 pm GMT
I thought sun and star were interchangeable and we called our sun "the Sun" to distinguish it from other stars.

"My original comment was that I had not heard that the word "suns" was reserved solely for the end-products of supernovas"

End products are technically called white dwarves.

"These nursuries are gas clouds which have collapsed from supernovas"

Which is presumably multiple white dwarves.
Uriel   Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:48 am GMT
A supernova often expels large amounts of gas into space while exploding. The remaining core contracts into a white dwarf (or neutron star, or black hole).
Brennus   Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:57 am GMT
Uriel,

I'm not questioning your overall knowledge and expertise in astronomy. In fact, I think that's great since the vast majority of humanity has no interest in the subject and a recent survey even found that 45% of the American people believe that the Earth was created by the hands of God just in the last 10,000 years!

Getting back to science, however, astronomers think that our sun is at least a second generation and probably a third generation star. In fact, they believe that all of the larger stars in our galaxy are second or third generation stars. Only some of the red dwarf stars have been around since the Milky Way galaxy was formed about 13 billion years ago.

Red dwarf stars have very long lives - 10's and even 100's of billions of years. It is believed that eons from now, the last planets in the universe with life on them will orbit red dwarf stars. This according to "Astronomy Magazine." (Imagine a smiley face being here).
suomalainen   Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:42 am GMT
Finnish: Estonian: Livonian: Saami:
Earth Maa Maa Moo Eana
Moon Kuu Kuu Kuu Mánnu
Sun Aurinko Päike Päävaliki Beaivvá^s
star tähti tähti teed násti

The names of Sun in many Finnic languages are derived from the word
for day (päivä/päev/pääva/beaivi in Fin/Est/Liv/Sam). Only the Finnish word 'aurinko' is an anomaly, as it doesn´ t have counterparts in any other languages. Thus, it is a unique word in Finnish. The Saami word mánnu is a Scandinavian loan word (måne = moon). It also means 'month'.
suomalainen   Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:45 am GMT
I´m sorry, 'star' is 'täht' in Estonian. The word also means 'letter' - letters and stars are obviously somewhat similar.
suomalainen   Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:50 am GMT
Is it easier to read this way.
English: Earth Moon Sun star
Finnish: Maa Kuu Aurinko tähti
Estonian: Maa Kuu Päike täht
Livonian: Moo Kuu Päävaliki teed
Saami: Eana Mánnu Beaivvá^s násti
Brennus   Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:11 am GMT
Thanks for that information Suomalainen. I know that Finnish, Estonian and Livonian are all very closely related to each other. Unfortunately, Livonian (western Latvia) is near extinction from what I have read.

Saami (Lapp; Lapponic) is a little further removed from the other three Finno-Ugrian languages. Furthermore, it probably was not their original language but was imposed upon their ancestors by Finnish conquerors around the 1st century A.D. So there could be some substratum influence there. Saami (lapponic) has also been influenced a lot by borrowings from Norwegian and Russian.
Uriel   Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:00 pm GMT
<<Getting back to science, however, astronomers think that our sun is at least a second generation and probably a third generation star. In fact, they believe that all of the larger stars in our galaxy are second or third generation stars. Only some of the red dwarf stars have been around since the Milky Way galaxy was formed about 13 billion years ago.

Red dwarf stars have very long lives - 10's and even 100's of billions of years. It is believed that eons from now, the last planets in the universe with life on them will orbit red dwarf stars. This according to "Astronomy Magazine." (Imagine a smiley face being here). >>

This is my understanding of the process as well. (And I love astronomy!) Is there a question implicit in this?
Brennus   Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:41 am GMT
Uriel,

Living in New Mexico, you must be in the sun almost every day. In Seattle, we get a lot of cold marine air which frequently blocks out the sun. Even California still gets some of it.

Tonight, I saw a program on PBS about Einstein and E=mc2 in which Oxford lecturer David Bodanis said that "the sun is a big furnace in the sky powered by e=mc2." I thought that was an interesting way to put it. Mind you, however, physics is not my forté (strongpoint).
suomalainen   Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:58 am GMT
Brennus,
Livonian is indeed unfortunately near extintion, as you say. The last fluent native speakers are Viktor Berthold (84) and his 95 years old cousin who lives in Canada. There are altogether 20 - 30 people who are able to converse in the language (descendants of Livonians who have learnt the language of their ancestors, and some Estonians and Finns).
There are different theories of the relationship between Saami and Finnish.
There are unusually many Saami words that have no identified counterparts in any other languages, so maybe they are a substratum of a proto-language. Still, probably the Saami spoke already a Finnic language when the Finns conquered their land and drove them to the far north. Saami and Finnish are relatively distant relatives, but at the same time the languages show long-lasting mutual interaction (more from Finnish to Saami).
Saami in fact consists of 6 - 10 languages that differ from each other as much as the Balto-Finnic (Finnish, Estonian, Livonian etc.) or Romanic languages.
Earth/Moon/Sun/star in Karelian: Mua/Kuu/Päiväine/tiähti