"four times", "five times" etc.

Guest   Mon May 21, 2007 2:12 am GMT
These I found on Wiktionary's list of protologisms as terms coming after "once" for "one time", "twice" for "two times" and "thrice" for "three times".

quarce: Four times
quince: Five times
sess: Six times
sepce: Seven times
okce: Eight times
nince: Nine times
dekce: Ten times
elfce: Eleven times
duss: Twelve times
baikce: Thirteen times

What do you think about them? Like most of the shite on that page, those are made up by randomly cobbling together bits and pieces without the slighest regard for how language works. Just look at it! Quar- is Latin, elf is German, and duss and baikce are absurdly formed from the first syllables of "dozen" and "baker's dozen".

I think these alternatives are better:

quarce: Four times
quince: Five times
sence: Six times
septence: Seven times
octence: Eight times
novence: Nine times
decence: Ten times
undecence: Eleven times
duodecence: Twelve times
tredecence: Thirteen times
Guest   Mon May 21, 2007 2:47 am GMT
I think that making up new words when they aren't necessary is moronic no matter what source you take them from. We're fine with just "~ times".
furrykef   Mon May 21, 2007 6:37 am GMT
Funny how "quince" actually means "fifteen" in Spanish (although that's pronounced "KEEN-seh" and not "kwinss").

I agree that your alternatives are better, but I think the best thing of all is to just keep things the way they are now. ;)

- Kef
Guest   Mon May 21, 2007 11:30 am GMT
My alternatives are better, because they're consistantly Latin based and so perfectly match "quarce" and "quince".
furrykef   Mon May 21, 2007 3:10 pm GMT
But they also make things more complicated than necessary. "Thrice" has been dying out for a long time, and, in my opinion, for good reason.
Kendra   Mon May 21, 2007 9:04 pm GMT
Twice has been dying out too.
It's TWO TIMES now.
Lazar   Mon May 21, 2007 11:24 pm GMT
<<"Thrice" has been dying out for a long time, and, in my opinion, for good reason.>>

Hey, don't knock "thrice"! I favor the revival of this word - it's so much more concise and elegant than "three times".

<<Twice has been dying out too. It's TWO TIMES now.>>

Oh come on, now "twice" as well? What is this world coming to...

But I don't think we need neologisms for the higher numbers, whether they be the ridiculous Wikipedia ones or the more reasonable Latinate ones suggested by Guest. "One", "two", and "three" are often accorded special status in language, so it makes sense that they alone would have special synthetic adverbs.
M56   Mon May 21, 2007 11:26 pm GMT
Where on earth did you hear that? The British National Corpus (BNC) gives result as:

twice - 6086 per million words
two times - 156 per million words.
Glen   Mon May 21, 2007 11:42 pm GMT
''Where on earth did you hear that? The British National Corpus (BNC) gives result as:

twice - 6086 per million words
two times - 156 per million words.''

Twice is very formal.
I guess people who write IT IS I, write TWICE as well.

''A bit of sleuthing around has led me to surmise that "twice" (and "thrice") may be more widely used in countries with ties to UK English, while "two times" is the preferred form in the US ... ''

http://www.write101.com/W.Tips214.htm
Glen   Mon May 21, 2007 11:43 pm GMT
Very interesting:

''Two times more -- or twice as much?''
http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1494289
Josh Lalonde   Mon May 21, 2007 11:46 pm GMT
'Twice' is certainly not dying out, nor is 'two times' the "preferred form" in North American English. The situations in which 'two times' is used may be more frequent in NAE (I'm not sure), but 'twice' is definitely still very common, and I've seen no signs of a decline in use.
Guest   Mon May 21, 2007 11:48 pm GMT
These are the words I've seen proposed elsewhere from "four times" to "nineteen times".

# quarce: Four times
# quince: Five times
# sence: Six times
# septence: Seven times
# octence: Eight times
# novence: Nine times
# tonce: Ten times
# elevonce: Eleven times
# twolce: Twelve times
# thorce: Thirteen times
# quartonce: Fourteen times
# quintonce: Fifteen times
# sextonce: Sixteen times
# septonce: Seventeen times
# octonce: Eighteen times
# noventonce: Nineteen times
Guest   Mon May 21, 2007 11:52 pm GMT
I personally like the sound of "tonce" and "twolce".
furrykef   Tue May 22, 2007 12:52 am GMT
<< Twice is very formal.
I guess people who write IT IS I, write TWICE as well. >>

Change that to "thrice" and I would agree. But I say "twice" all the time.
Guest   Tue May 22, 2007 2:22 am GMT
"twice" is not formal at all.