"Rahma" from which language you think this word is

Guest   Mon May 21, 2007 2:02 pm GMT
how does it sound to your ears? how do you pronounce it and which language will come to your mind when you see it? thanks
Guest   Mon May 21, 2007 3:08 pm GMT
Hindhi. Rahma O Rahma, is a phrase that I have heard in an Indian song.
So I am basing my guess on it. I am not fully sure on this, though. It could be an Arabic word as well.
Mark   Mon May 21, 2007 4:07 pm GMT
"Rahma" from which language you think this word is

My guess

Pronuced Rah ma probably of islamic and/or eastern descent, probably just a name of a person or place
Sarah   Tue May 22, 2007 2:33 am GMT
I have heard this word as a name of person "female" in the Arabic Language. It could be an Indian as well!!
Lazar   Tue May 22, 2007 5:25 pm GMT
Rama (no H) is a figure from Hindu mythology, a great king and an avatar of Vishnu. Rama is also a dynastic name used by the kings of Thailand. But I've never heard of the name "Rahma".
Uriel   Wed May 23, 2007 5:09 am GMT
Sounds Indian to me. Probably because of the name Rama and because of its similarity to Brahma.
Guest   Wed May 23, 2007 7:42 am GMT
I've known Persians with the root Rahma- in their surname e.g. Rahmani. But I've also seen it as an Arabic first name.
Josh Lalonde   Wed May 23, 2007 12:15 pm GMT
<<I've known Persians with the root Rahma- in their surname e.g. Rahmani. But I've also seen it as an Arabic first name.>>

Its actually probably from 'Rahman', which is an Arabic word meaning 'Merciful' and one of the Muslim Names of God. I don't think it would normally be used as a first name, but something like 'Abd-ur-Rahman' meaning 'Servant of the Merciful' is very common in Muslim countries.
Kabayan   Wed May 23, 2007 2:50 pm GMT
I agree with Josh.
hafid   Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:37 pm GMT
rahma is an arabic adjectif which means ''Clemency''