gender of countries

CooCoo   Wed May 23, 2007 12:22 am GMT
In older texts, countries are referred to as "she." Is it OK to use that in modern writing? Or will it make you seem foolish and outdated?
Guest   Wed May 23, 2007 12:48 am GMT
It's okay, I guess, but I probably wouldn't do it.
Guest   Wed May 23, 2007 12:52 am GMT
Some countries, like France, Albania, Romania, and China, are a "he." Keep that in mind.
Guest   Wed May 23, 2007 12:55 am GMT
I don't think there is any official designation of what gender a country is. It's really just a poetic use so I don't think you can put any rules on it.
Josh Lalonde   Wed May 23, 2007 2:06 am GMT
<<Some countries, like France, Albania, Romania, and China, are a "he." Keep that in mind.>>

I've never heard that. In my old European history books, France and Russia are both referred to as 'she'. I can't say for sure about the other three, but I doubt they would be any different.
In general though, yes, using 'she' for countries will probably sound outdated. There are a few more poetic situations where it would work, but if you write an essay about a country and refer to it as 'she' throughout, it will sound odd.
furrykef   Wed May 23, 2007 8:22 am GMT
I'm not even sure if I've ever heard of countries being referred to by gender. There's probably one or two instances lurking in my memory somewhere, but I think it's very rare in any case. At least, it is here in the United States...
Mark   Wed May 23, 2007 11:29 am GMT
"I'm not even sure if I've ever heard of countries being referred to by gender." - furrykef

Angleterre - Female
Amérique - Female
Japon - Male
Pays de Galles - Male
Français - Male

Not sure if this counts, but it is interesting to know that even the French think that the English are effeminate.
Josh Lalonde   Wed May 23, 2007 12:10 pm GMT
The adjective 'Français' is masculine when it refers to a masculine noun, but the name of the country itself is 'la France', which is feminine
Mark   Wed May 23, 2007 12:43 pm GMT
je suis desole
xxx   Wed May 23, 2007 1:25 pm GMT
Many countries "have gender" because in many languages you have to choose form of adjective based on gender. However, the gender will be depending on language you use, not the country.
e.g. in polish
Poland (Polska) - female
Germany (Niemcy) - male or neuter, not sure, plural (it also mean "people living in Germany" = Germans/ Niemcy)
France (Francja) - female
Russia (Rosja) - female
Great Britain (Wielka Brytania) - female
England (Anglia) - female
Spain (Hiszpania) - female
but
Iraq (Irak) - male
Cameroon (Kamerun) - male
etc.
Damian yn yr Albaen   Wed May 23, 2007 2:31 pm GMT
Le Pays de Galles may well be masculine in the French Language, but Wales itself, in the English Language, is a lovely and graceful lady.......

"....Among her ancient mountains
And in through her lovely vales...
Oh let the prayer re-echo....
God Bless the Prince of Wales...."

Yn iach i ti Gymru....o gwae i mi feddwl ymadael erioed.....
...am gartref gwyn anwyl yng nghanol y coed.......

Pob hwyl!
Mark   Wed May 23, 2007 3:13 pm GMT
"In older texts, countries are referred to as "she." Is it OK to use that in modern writing? Or will it make you seem foolish and outdated?" - CooCoo

To get back to the original question, in English "she" is a more poetic or romanticised form, generally when writing formal documents you should tend to stick to the country's name or use a recognised shorthand form i.e. (Great) Britain GB, (United States of) America US or USA, etc. When doing this however you should take into account the intended reader.
furrykef   Wed May 23, 2007 4:26 pm GMT
<< Not sure if this counts, but it is interesting to know that even the French think that the English are effeminate. >>

That's because "terre" has feminine gender. The same thing goes for Spanish and "Inglaterra". ;)

And in Spanish, "América" is feminine, but "Estados Unidos" is masculine. I guess we're transsexual. Actually, that might explain some things...

- Kef