My accent, could anybody tell my how to improve it?

RZ   Fri May 25, 2007 12:12 pm GMT
http://media.putfile.com/my-accent-75

I really wanna have a perfect north-America accent probably around NY NJ areas due to I am planning to immigrate to north from my home country, but since id improved it little bit, now it stops improving, i still sound like a foreigner and soooo far from perfect
RZ   Fri May 25, 2007 12:17 pm GMT
can anybody tell my where is the point? why it sounds not like a native?
is that the way we use vocal organs is different?
pronunciation?
too articulate?
other reasons?
all of them?
many thx
RZ   Fri May 25, 2007 12:18 pm GMT
I meant me >>:( I can't edit it...
Guy   Sat May 26, 2007 3:53 pm GMT
Are you a Chinese speaker?

Well, you might as well work on your rhythm because I suppose that's one element that makes you sound non-native.

Stress, intonation and rhythm can be much more important than articulation if you want to be understood by native speakers.
Jasper   Sat May 26, 2007 6:02 pm GMT
What an interesting accent.

The cadence, and the pronunciation of certain words, sounds Chinese, but the pronunciation of certain other sounds--such as the short "o" sound in "touch"--sounds more Spanish.

Tell us--where are you from?
Guest   Sat May 26, 2007 10:20 pm GMT
I wonder WHY do you want to BLEND in New York or NEW JERSEY? I noticed that there were pictures of what appeared to be Muslim men on your site at first, then the pictures changed.
furrykef   Sun May 27, 2007 2:55 am GMT
<< I noticed that there were pictures of what appeared to be Muslim men on your site at first, then the pictures changed. >>

Those images probably had nothing to do with the original poster.

I don't think it's necessary to go specifically for a New York or New Jersey accent. A General American accent should sound normal enough all around the United States.

- Kef
Jasper   Sun May 27, 2007 5:56 pm GMT
RZ, you could try the modelling method; it's cheap and you can do it at your own pace and in your own time.

Get a tape of the speaker with the accent you want to copy. Listen one sentence at a time, and speak ALONG with the speaker. Repeat as many times as necessary--15 or 20 times isn't too much--then move on to the next sentence.

If you're willing to work at this long enough, significant reduction of your accent will be effected; if you're a gifted enough student, even accent elimination. It will take many, many hours; at least 60, but 300 or more is better. That's about a year.

What's best of all is that you'll learn proper cadence, intonation, and inflections in a way that wouldn't be possible in classes.

This method is used in the University of California at San Diego, and has proven very successful.

Not easy, but at least cheap.