Just a code

Maurice   Sat May 26, 2007 10:57 pm GMT
Standard English is not a language at all but merely a much simpler communication object, i.e. a code.

Do you agree?
Guest   Sun May 27, 2007 12:19 am GMT
No. You don't make any sense to me, so I'm afraid I can't agree with you.
furrykef   Sun May 27, 2007 2:46 am GMT
Define "code".
Lazar   Sun May 27, 2007 3:41 am GMT
I really don't know what you mean. The Standard Englishes (General American, RP, General Canadian, General Australian, etc) are somewhat pliant standardized dialects; they're not codes. A code is a method of representing or obscuring a message for brevity or secrecy.
Josh Lalonde   Sun May 27, 2007 3:55 am GMT
I think Maurice may be referring to something I said in the thread "default form?". I said that written language (and by implication standard languages in general) is a codification of spoken language. I didn't mean that it's a code, but that it is an artificial construct rather than the natural human behaviour that spoken language is.
Maurice   Sun May 27, 2007 7:50 am GMT
<<The Standard Englishes (General American, RP, General Canadian, General Australian, etc) >>

RP is not a Standard English form, it's one way of pronouncing Standard English.

<Define "code". >

Have you heard of Morse code? Do you know what "a reduction of the language for certai purposes" is?

<<I think Maurice may be referring to something I said in the thread "default form?". >>

No, Maurice heard the word "code" and "codification" a long time before your post.
M56   Sun May 27, 2007 8:26 am GMT
I agree that is one way of looking at Standard English, Maurice. Quite a few linguist have said much the same.

The definition you are using would be the third below:

Quick definitions (code)

noun: a coding system used for transmitting messages requiring brevity or secrecy
noun: (computer science) the symbolic arrangement of data or instructions in a computer program or the set of such instructions
noun: a set of rules or principles or laws (especially written ones)

http://www.onelook.com/?w=code&ls=a

But you may find that such arguments fall on deaf ears on this forum. The majority of "expert" posters are prescriptivists and wholly worship the god named Standard English.

;-)