Languages and music; comparative analysis.

A-S   Mon May 28, 2007 5:23 pm GMT
This topic is reserved for the music, the influences, and diverse comparisons with the world languages (you should not go away from the linguistics, it's a linguistical forum).

Definition of music is a contested aesthetic evaluation of what constitutes music. Music is an art, entertainment, or other human activity which involves organized sound. Definitions vary as music, like art, is subjectively perceived phenomenon. Its definition has been tackled by philosophers, lexicographers, composers, teachers, semioticians or semiologists, linguists, scientists, and musicians.
Because of its ability to communicate, music is sometimes described as the "universal language". Yet the "meaning" of music is obviously culturally mediated. For example, in Western society, minor chords are often perceived as "sad", an understanding other cultures rarely share.
There is significant complexity in the structural elements of music which warrant the perception of music as a language. For example, genres of music can be characterized by the manner in which sound and silence are articulated, organized, and disseminated. The composition of these elements gives rise to a system which is on par with the complexities and subtleties of 'language'.

I think it's by the music that we like and love a language, opinions are made because the music is often the society reflection.

Diverse questions:
Which language sound the best in music for you?
Also, which musics do you prefer, what language?
Which musics do you hate, what language?

I ask to the moderators, if it would be possible to speak and to discuss on such music, such artist, such musical genres, etc.

If I have created thid topic it's to have a little more cultures that every languages hold, and especially to break stupid stereotypes as for example a language would be more ugly than another one.
So let's start!
K.T.   Mon May 28, 2007 7:52 pm GMT
Leonard Bernstein explained in a lecture that one could tell a tune/composer by the way the music was written. For example, a French composer (even in instrumental music) displays his native language by the way the melody is written.

I like a variety of music and languages and I've wondered if I'm just more
tuned into sounds than images.
Franco   Tue May 29, 2007 3:03 am GMT
<<Which language sound the best in music for you? >>

None. Instrumental. Otherwise, Slovenian.

<<Also, which musics do you prefer, what language? >>

I prefer the triangle, with chanting in Slovenian.

<<Which musics do you hate, what language? >>

Any English or Sporiadic language.
Guest   Tue May 29, 2007 3:11 am GMT
Interesting: "sporiadic" language.
Linguist   Tue May 29, 2007 5:42 am GMT
>>Most famous, world known artists sing in English!!!!

That's because of globalism and famous doesn't mean "popular". Russia was the only country where Madonna couldn't sell all tickets, Mariah Carry (or how is it spelled?) left Moscow coz there was almost any fans of her. LOL. My favourite music is in Russian only, with little exception for French.

Last weekend Placebo came to St.Petersburg and on the same day there was Russian rock festival. There were twice more people on Russian rock fest.
Linguist   Tue May 29, 2007 5:51 am GMT
>>Most famous, world known artists sing in English!!!!

That's because of globalism and famous doesn't mean "popular". Russia was the only country where Madonna couldn't sell all tickets, Mariah Carry (or how is it spelled?) left Moscow coz there was almost any fans of her. LOL. My favourite music is in Russian only, with little exception for French.

Last weekend Placebo came to St.Petersburg and on the same day there was Russian rock festival. There were twice more people on Russian rock fest.
Alba   Tue May 29, 2007 2:22 pm GMT
Russia????? hahahahhahahahha. that is funnayyyyy Russia is a communist hell-hole. No one gives a shit about Russia. In the world as a WHOLE ENGLISH music is wayyyyyy POPULAR!!! Your hatred of America/Americans does not take away the fact that American music/movies/television are popular ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!!

once again, thank you to the POlish moderators for deleting my comments. AGAIN. even though I said nothing bad this time, only expressed my opinion.
Alba   Tue May 29, 2007 2:26 pm GMT
And before any of you judge America/Americans again look at Europe, specifically the Eastern bloc countries. I mean if freedom of speech is limited in some silly website, who knows what is actually limited in their countries!!! With the exception of the Scandanavian countries, mainly Norway, Europe will never become better than America(well the US.)
Guest   Tue May 29, 2007 4:19 pm GMT
Alba-nian Mentality
Russian sounds worst
why? ...... russian are communists
Actually not Russia is a Militarized Republic like Turkey,China and Pakistan
and yes it's not the paradise of human rights neither your ex-state
but stay on topic

The anglophone song of Russia came third and it 's very HOT
Enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=capw4AsfBJk
They are better than Americans.Long live Globalization!
Alba   Tue May 29, 2007 5:05 pm GMT
Its not Albanian mentality! Its the truth, no one has basic human rights in Russia and their gov't is full of propaganda!! And dont compare Turkey to Russian and Pakistan. I dont know about China. I AM ON TOPIC!!!! I said AMERICAN and ENGLISH music is popular ALL OVER THE WORLD!! wtf do you mean my ex-state??
Guest   Tue May 29, 2007 6:53 pm GMT
if you cared about human rights you 'd speak also about countries
like Cuba,Venezuela,China,Sudan,N.Korea and your ex-state

the reason you speak against Russia is SELFISH
they veto Kosovo's independence

..brilliant russian operas.Listen
http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Opera-Conducted-By-Valery-Gergiev/lm/3SC141ACKF6RO
Linguist   Tue May 29, 2007 7:10 pm GMT
>>Russia????? hahahahhahahahha. that is funnayyyyy Russia is a communist hell-hole. No one gives a shit about Russia.

Russia doesn't give a shit about all others, we have our own music, our own heroes and feel very well. We have everything what we need.

>>In the world as a WHOLE ENGLISH music is wayyyyyy POPULAR!!! Your hatred of America/Americans does not take away the fact that American music/movies/television are popular ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!!

They are not popular, american show business is just strong and it makes all the world to listen to this shitty "music", they baught all cinemas and show their american movies, in France local films are always popular, like in Russia, it's sad that it s very difficult to see foreign (German, Chinese, Australian, Indian etc.) films, but those who want , always find. And I don't hate america, i dont give a shit about it...But YOU do hate and not only Russia. But it's your problem, poison yourself by your hate.
Alba   Tue May 29, 2007 7:14 pm GMT
Its not that I dont care about Sudan (Darfur) and all these other places but yes I care about issues relating to Albanians more. people speaking out against America is ok but speaking out against Russia is selfish?? really?

wtf is my ex-state???
Alba   Tue May 29, 2007 7:18 pm GMT
<<But it's your problem, poison yourself by your hate. >>

No, I wasnt taught to hate unlike you.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6696329.stm
K. T.   Tue May 29, 2007 7:23 pm GMT
"Last weekend Placebo came to St.Petersburg and on the same day there was Russian rock festival. There were twice more people on Russian rock fest. "

Placebo?

Is that a group or Placido Domingo?