Where is BRO used?

Franco   Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:14 pm GMT
Where do people use adress 'Bro'?

I think it is common in South Africa and New Zealand but where else?
Guest   Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:37 pm GMT
Warner bros
Skippy   Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:55 pm GMT
As in "brother" meaning like, "friend," or "homeboy?" This is found on the West Coast (California up into Northern California, I can't speak for Oregon or Washington) but they say it in Hawaii.

And a lot of times it's pronounced more like "bra."
furrykef   Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:52 pm GMT
It's common enough here in America, but I'm not sure about which regions. My online friend from New Jersey addresses me as "bro" now and then -- usually just "Hey bro", in greeting -- but I don't know if it's a typical feature of his dialect or a deliberate affectation. I'm pretty sure he only started doing it fairly recently, within the past couple of years.

- Kef
Skippy   Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:56 pm GMT
That happens a lot in larger cities if he watches alot of TV esp. pop culture like MTV w/ Laguna Beach or that show about the rich surfers in Hawaii. It's mostly a west coast feature (at least to my knowledge).
Guest   Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:51 pm GMT
a lot of pakistanis and indians from UK throw that word a lot. Esp girls can get a real kick out of it because that's how thugs are addressed in Indian and Pakistani films. You know, girls can be picky if their boyfriends address people like that,

Skippy bro, what's the latest news on your texas ranch?.....LOL
Ryan   Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:53 pm GMT
It's used sometimes in the U.S. the way that "dude" or "man" are used as a colloquial way for one man to address another man. It originated from African-American English, I think, although "brother" is often used as a form of colloquial address in other places as well, most notably Scotland.
Skippy   Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:53 pm GMT
lol still working on finding one that fits within my negative budget (i'm a student...)
Lazar   Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:53 pm GMT
In Hawaii they often use "bra" as a form of address.
Pub Lunch   Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:34 am GMT
We use bro quite a lot here in England, me and my brother use it all the time. More popular though is 'bruv' (at least here in the south east) as in "how's it going bruv"etc.

I realise bruv is probably an English thing but I thought everyone used bro, especially the Americans??

Bra seems a tad odd to me though - being women’s lingerie and that. It must be a trans-Atlantic thing I suppose!!
Travis   Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:41 am GMT
"Bro" is not really used here at all in the Milwaukee area outside of AAVE. (For the record, "man" is not used much here outside of AAVE either, and "dude" is not used here practically at all. "Dude" in particular sticks out to me as a usage foreign to this part of North America, whereas I do not hear "bro" and "man" being used infrequently by AAVE-speakers here, and in my mind it tends to be associated with California more than anywhere else.
Franco   Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:46 am GMT
What about CUZ (short form of 'cousin')?
Travis   Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:48 am GMT
>>What about CUZ (short form of 'cousin')?<<

Haven't heard it around here, I must say.
Pub Lunch   Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:53 am GMT
<<What about CUZ (short form of 'cousin')? >>

I have heard it here in Blighty a few times, but it is not common usage at all.
Guest   Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:51 am GMT
And bruz...