British spelling in the USA

Kess   Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:27 am GMT

''The slightly simplified spelling introduced by Noah Webster in 1828 replaces the original English spelling of honour with honor, and theatre with theater; Americans will be technical with words that end with -ize, while English jargon thrives on -ise. Canadians tend to accept free trade so far as color and -ize are concerned, but stick to metre, perhaps because of the influence of French. Canadians seldom use plow, and thru appears only on street signs where space is limited,

There is, however, no absolute rule about Canadian spelling. The main thing is to be consistent with whatever you choose.''
Kess   Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:33 am GMT
''Whether they like it or not, Canadian publishers are being forced to tailor the spelling of their books to an American audience, which is 10 times the size of Canada’s, simply to remain financially viable. “We are doing more American spelling because we are selling into the states,” admits Nancy Flight, editor at local Canadian publisher Greystone Books''

Guest   Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:40 am GMT
in Canada, ''Centered'' (US) is more frequent than ''Centred'' (UK);
and many people prefer ''fullfill'' (US) to ''fullfil'' (UK)
furrykef   Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:53 am GMT
Actually, it's "fulfill" and "fulfil"... the first "L" is not doubled.
Guest   Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:55 am GMT
Uriel   Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:57 am GMT
"Thru" is not considered standard spelling in the US. It's still "through".
Guest   Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:59 am GMT

General remarks.
You should write in the active voice, avoiding anthropomorphisms, and use U.S. spelling. Merriam-Webster, available online at no charge (, is the reference we use. The literature review must be synthesized; avoid beginning sentences with “Author (date) . . . ” Our style allows for the use of italics for emphasis only in quotations.