Trap-bath split in North America

Josh Lalonde   Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:03 pm GMT
I've read in a few places that 'cultivated' accents in different parts of the US from the pre-WWII era had the trap-bath split. I was just wondering if anyone knew what the greatest distribution of this was, and if there are any recordings of speakers from outside New England with the trap-bath split (in North America, I mean). Also, I've been wondering why the trap-bath split never took hold in Canada, despite having closer ties to and greater immigration from England than most of the US did in the 19th century. Any ideas?
Lazar   Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:58 pm GMT
I'm pretty sure that I've heard the trap-bath split from some North Americans in old movies; I think it may have been part of an affected theatrical accent.

I wonder if Franklin Roosevelt had the trap-bath split. This website ( http://millercenter.virginia.edu/scripps/digitalarchive/speechDetail/24 ) has a big collection of recorded speeches by him.
Travis   Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:04 pm GMT
>>I'm pretty sure that I've heard the trap-bath split from some North Americans in old movies; I think it may have been part of an affected theatrical accent.<<

I would suspect this as well myself.
Josh Lalonde   Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:14 pm GMT
I know that Edith Skinner's "Speak With Distinction" recommended the trap-bath split for actors, but I'm not sure how widely-used it was.
Lazar   Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:15 pm GMT
It seems that Roosevelt didn't have the trap-bath split. In his first inaugural address he says "asking", and in his first fireside chat he says "ask", "answer", and "past", and he uses [{] in all these words.