costed

Bill   Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:45 pm GMT
I use "costed" as the past tense of "cost". The dictionary says it should be "cost", but it sounds odd to me to use it as a past tense.
Lazar   Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:01 pm GMT
I exclusively use "cost" for the past tense and past participle. "Costed" actually sounds odd to me.
Travis   Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:17 pm GMT
I on the other hand do normally use "costed" as the past tense and past participle of "cost", even though I do tend to use "costed" more in intransitive usages of "cost" while I may use "cost" at times as a past tense or past participle when using "cost" transitively.
Bill   Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:45 pm GMT
What about "beated"? I similarly have that as a past tense of "beat" interchangable with "beat".
Josh Lalonde   Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:55 pm GMT
I use both, and I think transitivity has something to do with it. Transitive 'cost' is almost always with -ed: "She costed the can of grapefruit juice". Intransitive 'cost' varies, but I think 'cost' is more common or preferred: "The can cost(ed) three dollars." I don't use 'beated'.
Lazar   Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:27 am GMT
I didn't even think to include transitive "cost" - yes, I would use "costed" for the past tense and past participle of that verb.
Travis   Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:39 am GMT
Actually, I used the wrong words when I said "intransive" and "transitive"; what I really meant to say is non-dative versus dative usage of "cost".

Examples of what I mean are:

Non-dative: "It costed three dollars."
Dative: "It already cost me too much money."

In the former case I would generally not use "cost" in the past tense (and would almost always use "costed"), whereas in the latter case I am very likely to use "cost" in the past tense.
Uriel   Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:41 am GMT
"Costed" isn't even a word for me! Never heard it before.

"She costed the can of grapefruit juice". -- to me, this would be "priced".
Lazar   Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:55 am GMT
Actually, yes, "priced" is what I would use. I likewise had never heard of transitive "cost" before reading this thread; in my previous post I just meant that if I ever *did* use it (which, now that I think about it, I never would), then I would use "costed" as the past tense-passive participial form. :-)
Uriel   Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:30 am GMT
I guess it must be used outside the US pretty regularly, since I heard it used in place of "priced" in a British movie (24 Hour Party People -- a fun flick!) The line was "Have you costed this? 'Cos I have. We lose five pence on every edition!" It stuck out because it was such a strange word to me, but I knew immediately what the actor meant.

And if Josh is Canadian, they must use it, too.

I think their "costing" would be our "cost analysis". (Costing -- another word I would never think to use!)
Travis   Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:14 am GMT
At least here, to "price" something means specifically to establish its price, and is not used simply to mean that something will cost (or costed) one a certain amount of money.
09LA   Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:22 am GMT
As other posters have suggested, there are really two "cost" verbs at work here.

One "cost" is the bog-standard English verb for describing the amount paid for something:

The other "cost" is more of a specialized business and economics term meaning to estimate how much will likely need to be paid for something.

The following sentence nicely contrasts both:

You know, last year our accounting department costed that trip to the exhibition in Madrid at £2300 but in the end it actually cost the company £3600.
Lazar   Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:17 pm GMT
<<At least here, to "price" something means specifically to establish its price, and is not used simply to mean that something will cost (or costed) one a certain amount of money.>>

No, I think you've misunderstood (although I think I've contributed to some of the confusion on this thread). My usage of "price" is exactly the same as what you've just described.

Here's my usage:

"It cost three dollars."
"It's already cost me too much money."
"She priced the can of grapefruit juice."

So in summary, I use "price" as you do, but I never use "costed".
Guest   Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:25 pm GMT
English sucks sometimes.
Travis   Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:05 pm GMT
>>So in summary, I use "price" as you do, but I never use "costed".<<

I don't use "costed" in such a fashion either. I think this is just a bit of misunderstanding than anything else.