is language easy

chico?   Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:20 am GMT
i have heard a lot on here about which languages are easiest/hardest, etc. i think we are missing something important in this discussion.

first of all, when someone talks about language difficulty, then they automatically mean as a second language. of course, the easiest language is the one you speak at home from birth. after that it would depend on your native languge.

what is mean is this. if i speak english as a first language, then it would stand to reason that i would learn german easier and find it closer to my own tongue than chinese or arabic. if i spoke spanish as a native speaker(it is my second language) then obviously i will find one of the other romance languages to be simpler than english or chinese especially. a chinese person does not find chinese hard. and they would have a lot less problems with another oriental language than someone speaking a western european language since birth.

does this make since? i have heard that there are lists put out by military and such that lists the difficulty level in learning foreign language. has anyone ever seen or heard of one? i personally have not.

i think it depends on exposure. and of course, just as some are good at math(while i have to use my toes to count past ten because i run out of fingers)some are better at language learning.

it all depends on the native language.
American   Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:41 am GMT
It's all about practice bro. I almost quit studying spanish a month ago b/c I was studying it for 2 years and couldn't speak the language at all, although, and I know this sounds cliche, I was able to read it and write it well.

After reading BBC Mundo everyday for an hour and listening to spanish news for at least 30 minutes a day, I can at least say that my speaking skills haven't improved, but I my ability to hear things is vastly better than it ever was before, and I can produce short statements and questions w/o much preparation or haggling over where to put myself in the past or future. I'm able to listen to Spanish news as opposed to the Celebrity News Network or the Faux News Channel now. Practice. Practice. That's it.