How do you pronounce my surname?

furrykef   Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:14 pm GMT
<< Yeah, /ts/ like the "ts" in "tsunami" or "cats", like the "cz" in "czar" or the "zz" in "pizza" >>

Actually, I pronounce "czar" as "zar", though some do pronounce it with the "ts" sound.

<< Off topic, but, Damian, are you a vegetarian? >>

He said no in the post immediately above yours. ;)

- Kef
Jim   Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:58 pm GMT
"He said no in the post immediately above yours." He must have slipped that in whilst I was typing mine 'cause it wasn't there when I began ... goes to show how slow a typer I am.

So, Damian, a little guilty but not enough to stop you from eating sheep, cows and pigs but dogs are special? How so?
furrykef   Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:04 pm GMT
It's a cultural thing. It doesn't have to make sense. ;)
Kevin Tse   Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:07 pm GMT
Thank you, especially Jim, and I still have questions, you mentioned initial consonant cluster and open syllable words in your explanation to the pronunciation of my surname, what's that?

<< Off topic, but, Damian, are you a vegetarian? >>
Yes, he also emphasized he ate lamb.
So I wonder why you would think that eating dogs is tantamount to cannibalism while scoffing lamb is nothing but get a delicious taste, they are all animals, why should they be treated poles apart?
Actually, I like lamb more than dogs cause dogs bite human, sometimes they
just bite you without letting you know why, they are not kind, they are not friendly as lamb. lamb are cute, I love lamb, why did you eat my lamb, why?
STOP! STOP! STOP!
Jim   Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:40 pm GMT
Mary had a little lamb,
Its fleece was white as snow,
And everywhere that Mary went,
The lamb was sure to go.

They're all animals - eat up.

An initial consonant cluster is a group of consonant at the begining of a syllable. /ts/ is rare at the begining of syllables in English but not uncommon at the end of syllables. An open syllable is one which ends with the vowel i.e. no final consonant(s).
Uriel   Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:50 am GMT
Hey, in a pinch you can eat South American soccer players, too. It's all protein. The forward might be a little stringy, though.
furrykef   Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:39 am GMT
Now that's just wrong. :P
Hitlerous   Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:57 am GMT
Jim says his girlish name sounds Gina because he's got a bad accent to pronounce Jim as in Hymn.
Jim   Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:25 am GMT
Hi boys, I know I'm weak to not saying that I'm soooo gay like Uriel, furrykef, Kevin Tse, and my boyfriend Anon Guest.
Jim   Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:39 am GMT
I also know I'm weak to not using correct grammatical structures.

Yeah, you could eat a South American soccer player but that'd be cannibalism.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:44 am GMT
***<< Off topic, but, Damian, are you a vegetarian? >>***

He said no in the post immediately above yours. ;)

True - I did say no - but seriously guys, I'm thinking about turning veggie. Not as far as veganism - just veggie. I don't really think I can enjoy eating something that was once a sensient creature. Dogs ARE special - they are wo/man's best friend in the entire animal kingdom. and I even let George lick my face.......he being a dog, of course. Can you imagine it - casserole of cocker spaniel or slices of brisket of Yorkie terrier....yuk!

Cannibalism schmannibalism! - Soccer players - or as we prefer to say - footie players - soccer is so darn American!!!! :-) - why South American? How about grilled Beckham or pan fried Crouch in hot sauce - plenty going spare with that guy at 6' 7"! I'm only veggie when it comes to non humans - I feel a tad misanthropic this morning after seeing crazy things people do on the news. Only joking.......Beckham is probably as tought as an old boot anyway....completely indigestible. And he's too pretty to eat......and Posh may get more sour looking than she does already....she could do with a mega big fry up.

Back on topic - are we all agreed on how to address the cute Mr Tse?
Damian   Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:45 am GMT
tought? Pretend you speak Estuary and drop the last t.
furrykef   Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:49 am GMT
About the South American soccer players joke, I believe Uriel was referencing a real incident. Quoted from Wikipedia's article on cannibalism:

"On October 13, 1972, a Uruguayan rugby team flew across the Andes to play a game in Chile. The plane crashed near the border between Chile and Argentina. After several weeks of starvation and struggle for survival, the numerous survivors decided to eat the frozen bodies of the deceased in order to survive. They were rescued over two months later. See Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571. The 1993 film Alive tells the story of this ordeal."
Kevin Tse   Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:18 pm GMT
Hey, hey, hey, see where you have gone, I was not going to raise any discussion on cannibalism.
But it's cool any way, go on!!!
Guest   Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:38 pm GMT
I like cats over dogs. when they do poo, they smell it and cover it with soil. Now that is cultured. Can dogs do like that?