North American Accent in Britain

Tiffany   Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:04 am GMT
I've heard of-cow-tipping... one, in a movie that was satirizing what the "youth" of the South did for fun. I never thought it was true though.
Uriel   Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:27 am GMT
!!!!God in heaven -- I do NOT have a Southern accent!!!!!

I have a very generic American accent. I was an army brat, lived in Germany, Japan, tidewater Virginia, upstate New York, northern California, and New Mexico. So, no, no Southern thing happening in MY voice! I will say "ya'll" once in a while, because I happen to like it and find it both fun and practical, but that's IT!
Travis   Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:39 am GMT
>>I've heard of-cow-tipping... one, in a movie that was satirizing what the "youth" of the South did for fun. I never thought it was true though.<<

Yes, there really is such a thing as cow-tipping, unlike what some might think.
Tiffany   Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:22 am GMT
Lord, I didn't mean to offend you. I don't know what is so wrong with having a Southern accent anyway. But I'll believe you if you say you don't. It really doesn't matter so much.
Rick Johnson   Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:31 am GMT
<<Rick: Weird. Never heard of that.>>

I first heard the term "frog gigging" in an episode of Mythbusters. I did a quick google search to check that I'd got the right term, then a few KKK/ white supremacist sites came up talking about the joys of frog giggin'- so I figured I'd identified the correct socio-economic grouping for this particular sport!
Uriel   Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:06 am GMT
Tiffany: I wasn't offended, I was just laughing so hard because that one startled me! I have nothing against the mighty Southern drawl -- half my family has it! Just not me...

Rick: Aha! Apparently those of us who don't get invited to the Klan barbecues are sadly out of the loop! Oh, well. (Luckily, you don't have to be an inbred white supremacist to sneak up on a sleeping cow and push it over. Although it may give you an edge in the tournaments...)
Guest   Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:33 am GMT
"In Britain how does the North American accent compare to RP, Estuary, and Cockney in terms of the perceived class associated with it?"

Class doesn't really come into the reaction to NA accents, as a Briton cannot easily distinguish whether the person heard is from the USA or Canada, and each is treated differently once the nationality is known, one as a menber of the Commonwealth and all that that implies, and the other as, well, someone from a place which rejected Britain.

Generally however, the accent is disliked for its own sake.