till vs untill

E   Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:10 am GMT
difference!-?????????
Jonathan   Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:35 am GMT
I'd say 'till' or 'til' is slightly less formal than 'until', since it's a contraction, but I can't think of a (realistic) situation where it would be inappropriate to use one or the other (official government documents, maybe?) Anyway, they mean the same thing, one is just a short version of the other.
Guest   Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:16 am GMT
Also, until is derived from till. i.e. un + til.
Travis   Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:30 am GMT
In general spoken usage here, one normally uses "till" unless one is trying to convey specific emphasis or formality, where then one may use "until". On the other hand, in formal written usage one normally uses "until" rather than "till" in English in general.

I also have to concur that "till" is not a contraction of "until", but rather "until" is due to joining "un" (a preposition which is no longer used by itself) with "till". Another note is that the word is "till", not "til", even though one may see "til" or "'til" used at times based on the erroneous notion that it is a contraction of "until".
Kess   Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:42 am GMT
UPON and UNTIL are more formal.
ON and TILL are more informal.
furrykef   Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:00 pm GMT
By the way, "until" is always spelled with one "L", but "till" is usually spelled with two. (One also sees "'til", with one "L" and an apostrophe, but I think "till" is usually preferred.) I have no idea why that is...
Lazar   Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:18 pm GMT
<<By the way, "until" is always spelled with one "L", but "till" is usually spelled with two. (One also sees "'til", with one "L" and an apostrophe, but I think "till" is usually preferred.) I have no idea why that is...>>

I think it's part of a consistent spelling pattern (still mostly retained in British English) that gave us monosyllabic "stall, fill, pall, still" but bisyllabic "instal, fulfil, appal, distil".
Kess   Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:32 pm GMT
"instal, fulfil, appal, distil".

I spell INSTALL FULFILL APPALL DISTILL
"instal, fulfil, appal, distil" is wrong according to my spell checker
Lazar   Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:29 am GMT
<<"instal, fulfil, appal, distil" is wrong according to my spell checker>>

That's because your spell checker is American. ;-) For British English, the Cambridge Online Dictionary lists "fulfil, appal, distil" as the only spelling, and "instal" as an optional variant.

Anyway, one instance of that spelling pattern which is preserved in American English is "null-annul".
Josh Lalonde   Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:07 am GMT
So 'install', 'fulfill', etc. are American spellings? I never knew that. Those are the ones I use.
2   Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:40 am GMT
"On the other hand, in formal written usage one normally uses "until" rather than "till" in English in general."

I saw it used as "till" in 19 century British Literature.