How do you pronounce BURY?

Kess   Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:52 am GMT
60. Does BURY, as in 'bury the dead', rhyme with ferry, or with furry?

1. [ferry] 49.9%

2. [furry] 47.9%

These are the results from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada:
http://dialect.topography.chass.utoronto.ca/generate.php?region=ov&report=regionalreport

What's your pronunciation?
bryan   Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:09 am GMT
"Bury" sounds like "ferry" when I say it. It's the same with "burial".
Kess   Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:28 am GMT
I forgot, please write where you're from, so we can compare.
many thanks
Lazar   Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:52 am GMT
I pronounce "bury" as ["bEr\i], to rhyme with "ferry". I'm from Central Massachusetts.
Jonathan   Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:27 am GMT
I'm from (northern) California, and I pronounce it to rhyme with "fairy." I once had a history professor who rhymed it with "curry": "They found several artifacts 'burried' at the site." I'm not sure where she was from originally (she had an otherwise normal American accent), but I don't know anyone else who pronounces it that way.
Josh Lalonde   Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:31 am GMT
That's an interesting survey. When was it done? I I'm asking because the results question 2 seem odd to me: I only remember hearing one person refer to it as a chesterfield. I'd like to note a couple of the questions where I differ from the majority.
8. I pronounce 'vase' both ways: [vQz] or [vez].
9. The last syllable of 'garage' rhymes with neither 'badge' nor 'lodge'; it is like 'mirage': [g@"r/QZ]
11. 'Roof' [r/Uuf] doesn't rhyme with 'hoof' [h1_of] /hUf/
There's more, but I don't really feel like going through the whole list again. I'm surprised there was no question about 'aunt'. For me, it rhymes with 'haunt' as [Q~?], but I'm in the minority here: most people say it like 'ant'.
Josh Lalonde   Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:33 am GMT
Oh, and as for the original question, I rhyme 'bury' with ferry/fairy, but 'burial' is usually ["b3`.i.Uo].
Uriel   Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:28 am GMT
Bury is like ferry. Same vowel for burial.

Garage rhymes with mirage for me, too.

Aunt is like ant.

Hoof and roof are different for me.

New Mexico.
Andy   Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:42 pm GMT
Bury is ferry, (fairy is slightly different to ferry)
Garage is mirage
Aunt is Are-nt
Hoof is roof

S.E England
Lynda   Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:17 pm GMT
Bury is like furry

Garage is like mirage

Aunt is like aren't

Hoof is different to roof

Leisure is like measure

I don't pronounce "VASE" like either "face, days, cause, or has" but rather "cars"

And I pronounce "CALM" like neither "Tom or Sam" instead, like "arm"

Sydney
K. T.   Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:55 pm GMT
To me, "Bury" and "Ferry" rhyme.
K. T.   Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:04 pm GMT
Garage is like mirage. I was taught to say "Ahnt", but often said ANT. Roof can be pronounced two ways-the same goes for vase. I don't know where I'm "from"...I'm American, but I've lived many places, so maybe that's why two pronunciations of various words don't tickle my ear as "wrong" or "odd"...

What confuses me is punctuation and spelling because I was exposed to British texts as well as American texts. I guess I need to read a book to sort it all out.
K. T.   Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:08 pm GMT
Question to Linguists: Should I learn X-Sampa? If I learned it would I be able to identify and accurately produce sounds in any language solely based on the symbols?
Lazar   Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:02 pm GMT
Just to clarify, I use the same vowel in "burial" as in "bury": ["bEr\i5=].

"Bury" would rhyme with "ferry" in a Philadelphia accents (because of a general ferry-furry merger), and in addition to that I think there are some dialects where "bury" rhymes with "furry" and "curry" but not with "ferry". m-w.com lists /"b3`.i/ as an alternate pronunciation of "bury"; I think, for example, that Vincent D'Onofrio pronounces "bury" this way.

I pronounce "garage" as [g@"r\A:Z], I usually pronounce "vase" as ["vA:z], to rhyme with...um..."spas", and I pronounce "aunt" as ["A:nt] (which is pretty much universal in my part of New England).

<<Question to Linguists: Should I learn X-Sampa? If I learned it would I be able to identify and accurately produce sounds in any language solely based on the symbols?>>

Yes, you should definitely learn IPA and X-SAMPA. (X-SAMPA is basically the same as IPA, just adapted so that it can be written with no special characters.) They would enable you to easily and accurately learn the sounds of any language.
Uriel's stalker   Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:30 pm GMT
I like to bury my **** in Uriel's furry **** (yes both rhythm).

PS. Uriel seems really fun and friendly, hope she won't be mad, unless she likes it that way.

Love you Uriel