Romanians nedeed

a.p.a.m.   Wed May 03, 2006 1:44 pm GMT
In response to Sigma's assertion that Vulgar Latin was the spoken language of ancient Dacia, how then did the Romanian language become the closest language to Classical Latin? Was Classical Latin somehow introduced into the Romanian lexicon at a much later date? I would really like to know the exact truth of this matter. It seems to me that Classical Latin did not naturally weave it's way into Romanian, but was purposely injected into the language the way many French and Italian words were. I would like to know. I would welcome any objective and unbiased facts regarding this matter, and not the puerile, immature rantings of a Romanian nationalist.
Guest   Thu May 04, 2006 1:25 am GMT
mmm...puerile
a.p.a.m.   Sat May 06, 2006 8:05 pm GMT
ClaudiU EnescU a.k.a. Sorin. Gotta love those U endings. Classical Latin no doubt.
a.p.a.m.   Tue May 09, 2006 1:42 pm GMT
Brennus: I wholeheartedly agree. "U" endings are a result of Classical Latin. Most people will probably proclaim, however, that "Claudio" sounds much better than "Claudiu".
Luis Zalot   Tue May 09, 2006 6:33 pm GMT
What fascinates me thar most is that "Archaic" Latin words resemble much to those of Italian and Spanish words. For example;

aire (aria & aire)
suepnos (sonno & sueƱo)
molta (molta & mucha)
popolos (popolo & pueblo)
neuos (nuovo & nuevo)

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:xCFVjoQoFdYJ:indoeuro.bizland.com/project/grammar/grammar61.html+archaic+latin&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3

Coincidence? I suppose...natural phenomenon....or reference the past....whatever; it may be it surely makes me think.