Please help assess my pronunciation

Max   Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:57 pm GMT
Guest   Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:07 pm GMT
Your pronunciation is easy to understand. I didn't have concentrate harder though you need to work on pronunciation of some words:
in most of the..........system? clear but I can't guess what was the sentence?

say
them
words

Overall, I'd give you 4/5 marks on your pronunciation.
Guy   Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:08 pm GMT
Are you from East Asia?

You are quite easy to understand, although you don't sound like a native.
Max   Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:49 pm GMT
Guest,
Thanks a lot for your assessment. It seems I didn't read that part clearly enough. The phrase is "in most educational systems".

Guy,
That's a very close guess. I'm from Southeast Asia.
Max   Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:37 pm GMT
More suggestions and comments are welcome.

I am improving my pronunciation, so I would appreciate it if you could let me know what I need to work on.
Guest   Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:42 pm GMT
Don't be in a rush while speaking/recording. You'll do a great job if you speak slowly.
Brian   Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:43 am GMT
Your pronunciation is clear enough to easily understand, but your innotations are off. The way you're saying the words and where you're putting the emphasis sounds very strange. You have to work on that.
K. T.   Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:52 am GMT
I think you did very well. I did notice that "Chance" came out with a bit of an "sh" sound. Your English IS clear. If you would like to make your speech sound a little more like a native English speaker, I would suggest listening for how words blend in English and listening carefully to intonation. Still, I think you are doing very well. Good job!
K. T.   Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:59 am GMT
If you have recordings in English, listen and imitate the speaker. (You can also do this with movies at home.) The SECOND TIME try to speak at the same time as the native speaker. You will pick up the rhythm of the language in this way.
Jasper   Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:03 am GMT
K.t<<The SECOND TIME try to speak at the same time as the native speaker. You will pick up the rhythm of the language in this way.>>

I agree.

Speaking along with the speaker is far more effective than other methods. Try it.
Max   Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:46 pm GMT
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

I didn't realize my intonation is that strange ;-) Thanks for pointing that out. I'll try to work on it.

By the way, I'd like to ask native speakers to record themselves reading the following text for me (the same text that I read in my recording above) so I can use them as models. Anyone willing to volunteer? I'd greatly appreciate your help.

"Learning to speak a foreign language fluently and without an accent isn’t easy. In most educational systems, students spend many years studying grammatical rules, but they don’t get much of a chance to speak. Arriving in a new country can be a frustrating experience. Although they may be able to read and write very well, they often find that they can’t understand what people say to them. English is especially difficult because the pronunciation of words is not clearly shown by how they’re written. But the major problem is being able to listen, think, and respond in another language at a natural speed. This takes time and practice."

The sound files can be uploaded at http://www.supload.com/free-audio-hosting (or anywhere else you find convenient.)
ysk1   Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:42 am GMT
As Brian said, your pronunciation is clear, but your intonations are weird. If you improve on that, then you'd be like a native speaker.