WARM-HEARTED, KIND-HEARTED

Mimos   Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:26 am GMT
Do native speakers use words such as WARM-HEARTED & KIND-HEARTED? (As in "She is a warm-hearted person.")

An English teacher from an English-speaking country said native speakers never use such words but I've seen the word WARM-HEARTED used in a magazine from the USA.

Native speakers, Please clarify this. Thanks.
beneficii   Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:09 pm GMT
Mimos,

I'm not sure why the teacher told you that. Must be a _cold-hearted_, _mean-spirited_ person.
furrykef   Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:57 pm GMT
We certainly do use such terms.

- Kef
Guest   Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:21 pm GMT
I don't use those terms myself, because I am cold-hearted and mean-spirited.
K. T.   Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:25 pm GMT
I usually don't say kind-hearted, I say "kind". I understand "warm-hearted" but probably only use it when quoting another person. "My Mom said that he was a warm-hearted individual/person and he wouldn't hurt a fly."
K. T.   Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:27 pm GMT
I do think it is acceptable, of course, to use those terms.
Mimos   Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:34 am GMT
Thank you all of your reponses. I realize now that native speakers do not always agree with each other.

By the way, the English teacher who said that native speakers never use such words is a Canadian from Ontario. No disrespect to any Canadians but I thought maybe Canadians from Ontario don't normally use WARM-HEARTED & KIND-HEARTED?
Uriel   Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:42 am GMT
Well, they're from Ontario ;).... but yes, the rest of us would not consider such terms strange or archaic.