[p@tipwasÕd@vjE~dRagRÃ]

greg   Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:31 pm GMT
Comment traduiriez-vous « Petit poisson deviendra grand » dans votre langue maternelle ?
Uriel   Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:58 am GMT
Little fish turn into big fish?
Brennus   Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:18 am GMT
A couple of internet sites translate it into idiomatic English as "The little fish will grow" and "Small fish grow up," however I can't think of any equivalent English or American proverb for it off the top of my head.
Guest   Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:05 am GMT
« Petit poisson deviendra grand »

"From little things, big things grow" from the song:

http://www.paulkelly.com.au/lyrics/from-little-things.html
greg   Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:22 am GMT
Uriel & Brennus : bien joué ! En fait « Petit poisson deviendra grand » est issu d'une fable de Jean de La Fontaine intitulée « Le petit Poisson et le Pêcheur ». Voici le texte :

[ Petit poisson deviendra grand,
Pourvu que Dieu lui prête vie.
Mais le lâcher en attendant,
Je tiens pour moi que c'est folie ;
Car de le rattraper il n'est pas trop certain.
Un Carpeau qui n'était encore que fretin
Fut pris par un Pêcheur au bord d'une rivière.
Tout fait nombre, dit l'homme en voyant son butin ;
Voilà commencement de chère et de festin :
Mettons-le en notre gibecière.
Le pauvre Carpillon lui dit en sa manière :
« Que ferez-vous de moi ? je ne saurais fournir
Au plus qu'une demi-bouchée ;
Laissez-moi Carpe devenir :
Je serai par vous repêchée.
Quelque gros Partisan m'achètera bien cher,
Au lieu qu'il vous en faut chercher
Peut-être encor cent de ma taille
Pour faire un plat. Quel plat ? croyez-moi ; rien qui vaille. »
« Rien qui vaille ? Eh bien soit, » repartit le Pêcheur ;
« Poisson, mon bel ami, qui faites le Prêcheur,
Vous irez dans la poêle ; et vous avez beau dire,
Dès ce soir on vous fera frire. »

Un tien vaut, ce dit-on, mieux que deux tu l'auras :
L'un est sûr, l'autre ne l'est pas. ]

JdLF

En cherchant la traduction de cette fable de JdLF en anglais, vous trouverez peut-être l'équivalent de « Petit poisson deviendra grand ».
Gjones2   Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:07 am GMT
For "petit poisson deviendra grand" English has "mighty oaks from little acorns grow".

For the opposite saying at the end of the fable ("Un tien vaut, ce dit-on, mieux que deux tu l'auras") English has "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".
Gjones2   Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:33 am GMT
I found an English translation of the fable. http://lafontaine.net/lesFables/fableEtr.php?id=346

It doesn't use English proverbs, though -- "Little fish get big someday" (Google: 3 occurrences) and "A Yes-right-now is better than two You'll-get-it-laters" (Google: 3 occurrences).
greg   Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:38 am GMT
Gjones2 : je pense que ta proposition est la bonne. Pour plus de détails, voir : http://www.langcafe.net/viewtopic.php?p=9280&sid=113c8855d97d62bd202cb2b2d7b0652c#9280 .
Gjones2   Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:52 am GMT
Thanks, though I've been reading some threads over there, I hadn't noticed that one. The saying that Elaine mentioned is the one that occurred to me -- "Tall/Great/Mighty trees from small acorns grow." I'd use "little acorns" rather than "small acorns", though. It's much more common.

Here's another English translation of the fable: http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext05/8ffab10h.htm

No proverbs: "A little fish will grow" (Google: 10 occurrences) and "In some things, men of sense / Prefer the present to the future tense" (Google: 10 occurrences).
little Robert   Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:20 am GMT
Yep, straight out of Larousse: "mighty oaks from little acorns grow"
greg   Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:29 pm GMT
Antivirus.
Guest   Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:11 pm GMT
monte
Uriel   Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:43 am GMT
Uh ... let me show you why I hate those #$^%#@ online translators sometimes:

Uriel & Brennus: played well!

In fact "Small fish will become tall" results from a fable of Jean of the Fountain entitled "the small Poisson and the Fisherman".

Here the text:

[ Small fish will become tall, Provided that God lends life to him. But to release it while waiting, I hold for me that it is madness; Because to catch up with it it is not too certain. Carpeau which was not yet that remnants was taken by a Fisherman at the edge of a river. Done everything a number, said the man by seeing his spoils; Here is beginning of expensive and feast: Let us put it in our gibecière. Poor Carpillon says to him in its manner: "That will you make ego? I could not provide To but the one half-mouthful; Let to me Carpe become: I by you will be fished out. Some large Partisan will buy to me well expensive, With the place that it is necessary some for you to seek Peut-être encor one hundred of my size to make a dish. Which dish? believe me; nothing which is worth "" Anything which is worth? Eh well is, "set out again the Fisherman; "Poisson, my beautiful friend, which make the Preacher, You will go in the frying pan; and you have beautiful statement, As of this evening one will make you fry " A tien is worth, this says one, better than two you will have it: One is sure, the other is not it ] JdLF

By seeking the translation of this fable of English JdLF, you will perhaps find the equivalent of "Small fish will become tall".

Reading between the lines, I would have to say that Gjones is correct: the English saying "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" sums up the last line of the fable.