"if yuo cna raed and udnresnatd tihs whtiuot ayn porbel

furrykef   Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:11 pm GMT
<< "El rgleaemtno idncia eepsificamctnee que etsa poridibho uasr idaioms ditsotnis al inlges". >>

Whoa, that was a little tough -- just a little. I could figure out the basic idea immediately, of course, but it took me a minute to get the exact words.

"El reglamento indica especificamente que está prohibido usar idiomas distintos al inglés." ("The rules specifically state that using languages other than English is prohibited.")

- Kef
K. T.   Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:41 pm GMT
I actually have never understood why greg writes in French here and sometimes in other languages in the languages forum (where it is okay, btw). On the other hand, it really doesn't bother me too much because he ADDS to the thread and I've learned some things about linguistics from reading his posts.

Some of his posts are quite funny and rather sly imo.

French is an international language (like Spanish), so I imagine that many people can understand what he writes.

The problem (expressed in various ways here) is that the moderators only want English used here.

Now, I admit that I have translated some Japanese here (but I didn't start the thread.) I think that the fit/fitted explanation in Japanese was quite good (I don't know why it was written in Japanese here, though.)

Maybe some posters like the one who made the original Japanese post in another thread or greg UNDERSTAND ENGLISH, but just feel more comfortable in their own languages.

I guess it comes down to making the thread accessible to everyone.
I know that I would have some difficulty if someone wrote in Romanian here, so I guess I "kinda" understand what the fuss is all about.
K. T.   Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:51 pm GMT
L'œil et le cerveau surmontent aisément la difficulté présentée.

En revanche la scriptolangue que j'utilise pour te répondre, quoique n'ayant subi aucune altération, demeurera incompréhensible pour la majorité des non-locuteurs du scriptofrançais : le code que j'utilise leur est (partiellement ou totalement) inconnu.-greg

I feel foolish translating for greg as I imagine that he is quite good in English, but what he said (part of it here) is interesting.

Greg thinks that our eyes and our brains can easily overcome the difficulty presented in reading the original post. On the other hand, greg thinks that the written language he is using to respond to the poster, without undergoing any change, will remain impossible to understand for most people who cannot read French.
;)   Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:53 pm GMT
Ехал Грека через реку. Видит Грека в реке рак. Сунул в реку руку Грека. Рак за руку Грека - цап!
acadia   Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:01 am GMT
El seit b'lop schekip belle. Se lasen olamo olamishelle.
Guest   Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:23 pm GMT
Doesn't the ease of comprehension of the scrambled text depend on how well it's scrambled:

The rules specifically state that using languages other than English is
The rleus saeiillccfpy sttae taht uinsg laaeuggns oehtr tahn Eislgnh is
prohibited.
peiiotbhrd.

(There may be some typos here.)
furrykef   Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:36 pm GMT
Certainly. I doubt I'd understand "saeiillccfpy" unless I already knew what the word was.