why?

Anne   Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:38 am GMT
Why is the word: guys, used for both boys and girls.
furrykef   Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:55 pm GMT
I usually only encounter "guys" used with girls in the form "you guys", or in a mixed group, unless the mixed group is mostly female. It's just more convenient that way.

Some women take offense to the notion that they can be a "guy" in any sense of the word, but I think it practice it is seldom a problem unless you're using "guys" in a way that seems unnatural.

- Kef
Skippy   Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:59 am GMT
Of course, this is not really a problem in the glorious South :-P ya'll...
Pete   Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:26 am GMT
What did you guys want to discuss in this thread?
furrykef   Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:31 am GMT
<< but I think it practice it is seldom a problem >>

That should be "in practice".
anonymous2   Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:14 am GMT
You might be a blueneck if instead of referring to two or more people as "y'all", you call them "guys" even if they're all women
Pete   Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:34 am GMT
"y'all" just sounds wrong to me. "you guys" is what I use.
Guest   Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:35 am GMT
I once met "guys and dolls" used for a mixed group. But I am not sure how a girl react when called "a doll". It might be a joke which can be allowed only to close friends
furrykef   Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:17 am GMT
<< But I am not sure how a girl react when called "a doll". >>

In general, not very well. In just the right context, it might be OK. "Guys and Dolls" is the title of a musical, so they were probably just playing on that. The word "doll" in this sense was much more common and acceptable back when it was written.

More common is to hear "guys and gals", but use of "gal" outside this context is relatively uncommon. It's unlikely to get you into trouble, but some women dislike the term.

- Kef